We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for March 2015

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for March 2015

Good Day. I will be with my husband and his mom (over 60) in March. I would like to ask for suggestions with this rough itinerary:

day 1- Arrive London. West End at night

Day 2- take a viator tour of Stonehenge, Bath, Stratford upon Avon

Day 3- take a hop on hop off tour of London (Abbey, Tower or London, Big Ben, Buckingham).

*Possible to include Warner Bros.?*

Day 4- Day Trip to Liverpool and Chester

*is it feasible if I do it on my own without having to drive a car? Can't find a tour*

Day 5 - Day Trip to Cardiff, wales on our own (take the train)

Day 6- Take a train to York , then train to Edinburg

*Are there lockers for big luggages in the train station so we can just leave our luggage in the station, go out and tour York, then proceed to Edinburg?*

Not included are the following which also interests us. Would we be able to sneak them in somewhere?

- Glastonbury, Cambridge

Thank you!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

Is there an affordable tour which would include all the abovementioned places? Thanks!

Oakham, United...
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

HAve you visited London before? There is enough to keep you busy in London for weeks without wasting valuable time travelling to distant cities. Equally, if you really want to see all these other cities around the country, why stay in expensive London?

Have you looked at journey times?? I suspect it might *just* be possible to do a day trip to Liverpool and Chester if you make sandwiches the day before to eat on the train, and don't stop for a minute to look at anything. Do you really want to come over here to spend the whole time on trains and buses?

I suggest you spend the whole time in London. If you feel the need to leave London , then maybe do a Stonehenge/Bath tour on one day. Most of the locals on TA think these trips are madness - long days sitting on buses, and little time actually doing anything, but some visitors do seem to enjoy them.

Incidentally, it's a good idea not to truncate names: "Buckingham" is a town outside London.. I think you *might* mean Buckingham Palace. IF you ask for directions to Buckingham, you will be sent to a town with no palaces anywhere nearby.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

Ok, so you want to fly in from the Philippines, and in 6 days, do most of England, *and* Scotland?! London, Stonehenge, Stratford-u-Avon, Bath, Liverpool, Chester, Cardiff, York, Edinburgh, Glastonbury and Cambridge?!

Sorry, it's madness. You couldn't do that justice even with 14 days in the UK.

Yes there are tour companies that will do some / part of this route. I doubt that many contributors on here will recommend one to you as many are of the opinion that they don't do the places you are 'visiting' justice. You end up spending most of your time on a coach on the motorway, often 'looking' at attractions (i.e. from the bus window) vs actually visiting them and getting to experience some of the UK.

In 6 days you could do London and a couple of day trips, say one of the day tours to Stonehenge / Bath and get a train to Cambridge. I'm presuming that you have 6 days actually on the ground here, not including travel days. Or you could take a overnight trip to York.

You need to have a serious think about why you are coming to the UK and what you actually want to see / do. If you really must look at tours, search the forums, there are plenty discussed on here. Have a look at the AA www.theaa.com to look at travel times by road between various places, and bear in mind that these are rather optimistic. Use national rail www.nationalrail.co.uk to look at trains. You'll then appreciate how much of your 'itinerary' would be eaten up by travel if you went ahead.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,018 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

>>> Would we be able to sneak them in somewhere? - Glastonbury, Cambridge <<<

Yes, if you drop everything else!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
11,292 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

In a word your plan is madness (and I'm being polite!). The UK might look like a small country on a map but take one look at travel times and that plan is totally unfeasible. www.nationalrail.co.uk if you want to check out some journey times but as a rough guide:

London-York 2hrs

York-Edinburgh 2.5hrs

London-Liverpool 2.5hrs

Liverpool-Chester 45minutes

London-Cardiff 2hrs

If you want a tour of the british railway network then it's a great plan, if you want to see anything of these places when you arrive it's just not going to work!

Stick to London and day trips to closer places to maximize your sight seeing time.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

Hi!

As the other posters mention, it would be really tricky to visit all those places in just a week, and you will probably feel that you haven't really seen enough of anywhere.

My suggestion would be to base yourself in London and take a couple of short daytrips - so Bath/Stonehenge and Stratford would be ideal as there are places that take you there in a day.

Then The Harry Potter studio (think that's what you mean by Warner Bros?) and Cambridge are both easily accessible if you want to go for a day, but I would advise that you go to both for a day, half a day would be too short.

Harry Potter is easily accessible by train; just take the train from Euston to Watford Junction., and then they have shuttle buses to take you to the studio. The train takes between 15 and 45 minutes depending on whether you get the fast or slow train.

Then for Cambridge you can take the train from London Liverpool Street, it takes about an hour. Easier than this could be combining Cambridge with Oxford in one day trip, as there are tours which offer this.

Hope this helps - there is so much to do in London, and I think you would feel like you have stretched yourself too thin and not done each place justice (not to mention needing a holiday afterwards to recover!)

Fuschia

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

To get to Cambridge from London you don't take the train from Liverpool Street, it takes ages. You get the express train from Kings Cross - 45 minutes.

Warner Bros / Harry Potter you need to book tickets in advance - you can't just turn up on the day!

London
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

The more I read this the more it amazed me.

day 1- Fine

Day 2- Just about reasonable but very long day....

Day 3- Reasonable until the bit about Warner Bros, no way could you include that as well as seeing all of London's sights.

Day 4- Crazy, day trip to one or the other would be feasible but not both - would spend over 5 hours travelling (by train) to either though.

Day 5 - Even crazier. Cardiff doesn't really have anything to it either - I went there recently for a rugby game and there was nothing to see/do.

Day 6- Possible, but would need an early train and I assume you wouldn't expect to see ANY of Edinburgh that day?

Illinois
Level Contributor
17,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

I'd have to disagree that there's nothing to see in Cardiff. It does have a castle (Cardiff Castle), and there are 2 other castles that can easily be reached by public transport (Caerphilly Castle and Castell Coch). In addition, there is the Doctor Who Exhibition if one is a fan of that. St Fagan's National History Museum is also nearby. Cardiff can be done relatively easily as a day trip (although you won't get to do everything I have listed). I know this as I did a day trip there with my daughter for the DWE last Dec. We did take an early train there and a late train back.

However, I would agree that your itinerary has way too much in it.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
169 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for March 2015

I think I will just drop Harry Potter Studios, Cardiff since it's farther, either Liverpool or Chester (or both). I shall retain York since it will be on the way to Edinburg where we'll be spending 5 nights.

Thanks very much for the suggestions!