We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baytown, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Train

I am looking to book a train from London to Edinburgh for September 16. Tickets are not available yet. 2 questions! First, what do I do if my US Visa card won't be accepted? And second, would anyone recommend which station to depart? Our hotel is close to Victoria Station. Do we get on there and make the KC change or take a taxi to KC ? We will have our luggage to haul.

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train

Depart from Kings Cross. I don't think there any steps on the tube journey from Victoria to Kings Cross so I'd take the tube. I don't know RE: Visa card, sorry.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train

The best station to depart from is the one the train goes from which is Kings Cross ;) (...assuming it's not the sleeper service which runs from Euston....)

With regard to the visa card, you can buy tickets on the websites of any UK train operating company (not just the one you will be travelling with which is East Coast Trains). People have reported in the past cards working on one site and not another, so try East Coast first but if that doesn't work try another.

Edited: 18 June 2014, 17:37
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train

Your US card won't be accepted for one of two reasons

1 The company has blocked it because you are using it outside America

2 The machine won't work with swipe cards

Remedies

1 Call your CC Company before you depart

2 Use a manned window

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train

I always book from Canada using my Canadian visa and never have issues.

Book 12 weeks in advance on the East Coast rail web site. Don't wait till you get to London to book, it'll be more expensive.

Consider buying first class tickets, it's more expensive but you get a nicer and quieter trip with food and drink.

You need Kings Cross to Edinburgh Waverly. You can get to Kings Cross on the Victoria line direct.

Baytown, Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Train

Thank you for your help! I am booking from Texas as soon as tickets become available. I do need to call my bank tomorrow and let them know I'll be purchasing European train tickets soon. I knew to give notice before we actually left, but I didn't think about for booking train tickets! I am hoping to get 1st class! So to clarify, we should take the subway to Kings Cross to board the train to Edinburgh ? Thanks again for your help!

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,526 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train

Yes correct. Well, the underground/tube. 'Subway' in the UK either refers to an underground walkway or a sandwich shop...

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,876 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train

"I don't think there any steps on the tube journey from Victoria to Kings Cross"

There are steps (24) down from street level (the National Rail station) to the tube station's ticket hall. From there it's step free (escalator) down to the Victoria line. Personally I don't think those steps are much of a pain so I'd still take the tube. It is step free at the Kings Cross end.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train

So to clarify, should we take the subway to Kings Cross to board the train to Edinburgh ?

------

That's an entirely personal decision,depends how much luggage, what time of day (Victoria at rush hour is absolutely manic I wouldn't fancy the tube with a lot of luggage), if you will already have tickets or be buying singles.

If you can afford first class, taxi shouldn't be an issue, there is a compulsion here amongst regulars to always suggest the lowest cost routing every time without considering comfort. The other day someone with heavy luggage and knee problems was still being advised to take the tube to save a few pounds. I'm not saying don't take the tube, just that there are other considerations.

You don't say what time trains you will be looking at, I suggest something after 11 or so and before about 3, will get you best prices on first class and enable you to miss the rush hour however you travel to Kx.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 07:49
Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,260 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train

No need at all to go 1st class. You meet a better class of person in 2nd

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,017 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train

>>If you can afford first class, taxi shouldn't be an issue,<<

Not necessarily. There are some very cheap FC deals around. In a few weeks I'm doing London to York First Class for £21.45 each way (with a rail card).

>>No need at all to go 1st class. You meet a better class of person in 2nd<<

Nonsense. When I use EC (which isn't often) I always go FC, having it a few years ago. I'm usually going on holiday so it's a treat, and a slightly more luxurious journey than Standard. And I'm someone who travels Standard day-to-day. For this length of journey it is definitely worth considering.