We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Topic
9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

Hi,

If you all had a total of 9 nights how would you split your trip between:

London, Paris and Barcelona.

I know that isn't enough time to do everything, but how would you split it if you are first time visitors?

Thanks!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

Is this exclusive of travel days?

Any time you travel from one city to another, you should expect to lose most of a day.

In your case, you should subtract the arrival day, the day traveling to Paris (after check-in, you will have a late afternoon/evening), and another half day or more traveling to Barcelona. Subtract the departure day.

So.....arrival and departure, 7 days. 2 1/2 days, arriving in Paris/Barcelona...another day. Now you have six days for three major cities.

Personally, I would cut in back to two. London and Paris, flying into London, for example. Then you have four full days in each.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

thanks for the quick reply.

unfortunately we have to end up going to barcelona anyways because our cruise is there.

The travel time would only be between london to paris and paris to barcelona as I have already accounted for the other travel time.

How would u go about splitting those?

Thanks!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

Then I would split it between London and Barcelona.

I've spent time in both cities--you'll wish you had more time in each. 9 days is not enough for three cities and the travel between them. It may be "a two hour flight" but it is packing, checking out, taking transport to the airport, getting there two hours in advance of the flight for check in/security, getting to the gate to board 30 minutes in advance, the flight, deplaning, immigration, taxi to Barcelona, check in. It's a significant part of a day. And if there is any sort of delay, then it is even more.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

If you try and see all three you will be paying the maximum to see the minimum.

Too much time traveling, not enough time "being there."

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

Go for Paris and Barcelona. Do 6 nights in Paris and 3 nights in Barcelona. Do London on another trip.

If you must, 3 nights in London, 4 nights in Paris, and 2 nights in Barcelona.

Edited: 19 June 2014, 01:49
MWN
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

As a fairly frequent visitor to Europe and a lover of all 3 of those cities, I would agree to eliminate one of them -- too difficult to do all 3. I believe you said you have to end up in Barcelona, which is my favorite city in Europe -- so that is an easy decision. Deciding between Paris and London is tough. Think about:: have you ever been to either before? what are your interests? what is your budget? What time of the year are you going? I personally would eliminate Paris even though it is quite wonderful. London is a little more "manageable" -- particularly because of language, ease of riding "the tube" -- in general just a little more tourist friendly for English speaking visitors. Go to Paris on another trip and allow time to see some of the beautiful French countryside and do a France only trip separately. Have Fun!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,719 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

So you have to go to Barcelona for your cruise...

How do London and Paris then get in the mix? Why not Rome and Madrid? Or London and Berlin?

My point is - What made you choose London and Paris? Knowing that might help decide how long to spend in each. But really, you might as well flip a coin. It makes no diference how long you spend... It wont be enough.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

Have you by chance already bought flights to London ? If so then London and Barcelona.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

Either London or Paris. But not both. Too much in too little time.

So you need to decide which city interests YOU the most. Not which city you should go to from the opinions of total strangers on a travel forum. I love both London and Paris but for different reasons. They are both great cities.

You might even decide on which one to visit depending on the costs for flights, travel cost to Barcelona, the cost of hotels on the dates you are to be there. That could factor in.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,097 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 9 days for London, Paris and Barcelona, how would you split

Maybe I am not on your topic exactly, but...

3 days are ok for Barcelona. I would fly there directly, do the town , then rent a car and go for a nice self driving trip in Andorra region or South of France or Bask region. You will see beautiful country side and get tired to appreciate a luxuries of the Cruise!

Paris and London are great destinations. You can do them justice some other time.

Yuri.