We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Marietta, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

Hello all! First of all let me say I enjoy reading the London forum here on Trip Advisor very much. Everyone is so helpful and generous with advice that it has helped me tremendously in my trip planning. Speaking of which...my husband and I and my two teens (girl age 16 and boy age 13) and I will be traveling to the UK next June for two weeks. We plan to spend the first week in London and probably take day trips to sights outside of London. This is not my first trip to the UK nor my hubby's, however neither of us have any experience with finding accommodation there...I went on a 2 week bus tour in 1999 where everything was preplanned and my hubby spent a year at the University of Hertfordshire as part of an exchange program. I know we will have to go for quads or family rooms if we use hotels but this seems pretty pricey and not all hotels seem to have rooms for 4...a self catering flat seems like a better option but how do you know if they are legit? I have looked at a ton of websites for self -catering flats in London...I just have a great fear of sending a huge deposit, then getting off the plane and discovering they've taken our money and run with it and there we are in London with no place to stay! Aughhh! Any advice on renting self-catering flats or other mid-priced accomadation would be wonderful...I'd be eternally grateful!

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

pjrichard: Well to get you started, and if you didn't see these at the top of the Forum, there is a lot of good information on TheArtGirl's sticky: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k50200…

Also, there are websites for Short-Stay Apartment Rentals on her other sticky: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k41528…

Several people on this forum have done trip reports with reviews of their accommodations so hopefully they'll reply here with recommendations.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,858 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

Hello and welcome to the forum.

It sounds as if an apartment will be the the most suitable option for you. Family rooms in hotels are fine for a couple of nights but after a week....

The two threads that Lee suggests should get you started and most legit companies will only ask for a deposit at the time of booking. Once you have found somewhere do please ask again about the area or if we know the property.

Hope that helps get you started.

adamhornets@yahoo.com

Marietta, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

Thank you LeeB and Adam for your replies! The links provided have great info...will continue looking into the self-catering flats...I agree they sound like our best bet! Our trip is still months away...it's hard to wait but the extra planning time will help make for a smoother trip, I imagine. Once again, thank you!

NYC
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

pjr - Get a really good guide book for yourself & DH - and I'd suggest also getting one for the kids ... let everyone look through and come up with their own "must sees" then figure out how to put all of them together ... and have as much fun planning the trip - or almost - as being on the trip. There is so much to see, you will have to pick and choose ... so letting everyone have their say will go a long way to making the trip the super memory forever for your family.

Enjoy! Ta. MMM!

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

We have had personal experience with LondonPerfect apt rentals and they were great. They have places to rent in both London and Paris (have rented from them in both) and their accommodations are stunning. Also, while you might spend a little more to rent and apt, you will more than make up for it with savings on food my eating in. My family of six ate all of our breakfasts in and many of our dinners.

Check out their apts at LondonPerfect.com.

Have a great time planning for London and visiting.

BTW...your daughter will probably want to stop at TopShop...THE store for young women in London. My daughters (ages 16 and 14) LOVED it...be sure to visit the one on Oxford street as that is the biggest.

Marietta, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

MMM...I've been following your suggestion and am currently perusing guidebooks on Amazon...thanks for the tip! Do you have any suggestions on which guidebooks would be most helpful...are there any that you have used that you found to be especially insightful? Thanks so much for replying!

Deb...Thanks for the heads up on where a 16 yr. old girl would like to shop...I know shopping in London is probably at the top of her list of stuff do! Since you have teens if you have any other advice on things your girls enjoyed while in the UK please let me know...any help is greatly appreciated. :-)

Best regards to you both,

PJ

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

PJ: I have an entire collection of guidebooks; I usually copy pages from each and staple them together for mini guidebooks.

I always find good information in Frommers, Fodors, Cadogn, Rough Guide and Lonely Planet guidebooks. Michelin Green Guides are excellent for info on attractions, history, architecture, etc.

Windermere, Florida
Level Contributor
752 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

PJ: My daughters (I have full collection of them...four) are ages 16, 14 10 and 3. My two oldest loved the shops, with TopShop being the best. Also, although very touristy, the all loved Madame Tussaud's. Also, the Princess Diana dress collection and photo collection at Kensington Palace were a big hit with all the older females (ok, my husband wasn't complaining, either!).

If you have a budding actress, a show is a must. I let my dh watch the youngest while I took the older three to see Phantom of the Opera. Even though only one of them will be hitting Broadway (a legend in her own mind, that one), they all had a great time.

If you are interested, you can click on my name and see some of my trip reports listed in my long line of posts. They might help you get an idea of what to do.

Also, one of my Inside Pages is on recommended books to read before going.

Have a great trip...email me personally if you have any more questions" debsunberg at aol dot com.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

We have been quite happy with family rooms in hotels. Travel Inn charged no more for a family room than for a double. Another hotel charged £20 more per night for the two kids with breakfast included. I suggest you compare prices between the flats and hotels.

Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: London/UK Trip in June 2007: need advice on accommodations!

Re guidebooks and teenagers --

First - if you can find a self catering apartment, your life will be simplified and less expensive - Breakfast and snacks and picnic makings for lunch from the supermarket are much cheaper than eating out. We found that eating breakfast at home and carrying a picnic for lunch saved enough money that we could eat dinner out a nice restaurants without worrying about the tarrif.

What I did when travelling with my teen-aged nephew was hand him the guidbooks and require that he make his wishlist. Then from his wishlist, he had to choose one attraction per day and research it so thoroughly that he could be my travel guide and teach me all about it. He could then pick one other attraction for me, and I would do the same.

It was a very successful plan. He had a great time and so did I, and now he uses his knowledge of Ancient Roman sites in Europe to his advantage in school.

Relax a little. You've plenty of time to make your plans and the research and planning should be half of the fun. The forum will recommend reliable flat agents and everything will come together just as you want it to.