We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Aberdare
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

i note that there are a couple of stations in croyden.

I am staying at the hilton and want to use a station to get to croyden.

waddon station seems like its within walking distance of the hilton but it seems a long train journey in

east croyden requires a bus to get there but seems a quick journey thereafter

south croyden has a car park so i could park and ride etc but dont know how busy that station is or whether there will be car park spaces free on a saturday

do the trains only travel croyden to victoria or do they stop at any other stations. i remember victoria being quite a big station to negotiate.

any tips?

London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

Try the TfL journey planner for when you are travelling

www.tfl.gov.uk

East Croydon also goes to London Bridge (less convenient for Embankment) and Blackfriars (more conveinent) plus loads of intermediate stations. Waddon seems the best option to me though.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

Waddon is probably the closest station but you would be better getting the bus to East Croydon, the 119 goes there from The Colonades next door to the hotel and is a 24 hour bus.

From East Croydon you can get the FCC or Southern train to London Bridge and change for a Southeastern train to either Waterloo East or Charing Cross - same platform change of trains with the FCC ones. At certain times of the day FCC don't go via London Bridge so you can go to Blackfriars instead.

Edited: 20 June 2014, 12:39
Aberdare
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

cheers

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

Hi,

If driving is an option, there is also Purley Station, which has a large multi story car park opposite which is cheaper than the car parks in Croydon.

If you are travelling to London during the week (ie Mon-Fri) Hilton offer a complimentary shuttle service to East Croydon Station in the mornings.

If it's the weekend, then personally I would use the 119 bus to East Croydon. FYI, after July 6th, buses will no longer accept cash as payment, and you will need an Oyster card or contactless credit/debit card.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,565 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

Yup. That Hilton isn't that great at all for visiting central London. Is there any way you can change? Hilton has opened a Hampton right next to East Croydon station (with a new back entrance to the station right opposite the hotel). Might it be worth looking to switch to there?

I was also going to suggest Purley, which is in zone 6. Not sure how much the parking costs, but there's also the 289 bus from the Purley Way in the opposite direction to Waddon.

…tfl.gov.uk/cdn/…purley-310813.pdf

There are six semi fast trains per hour to London Bridge, calling at East Croydon and London Bridge, journey time approximately 20-25 minutes. That's much more frequent and faster than from Waddon.

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,747 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

East Croydon Station also has frequent trains to Victoria Station, some stopping, some non-stop.

I go to Croydon frequently for work and rarely have to wait more than 10 minutes for a train back to London.

The Victoria train would be best for getting to Embankment as you then have only 3 stops on the tube to Embankment. USBT's suggestion about changing hotels is a good one.

Within Croydon, I find the Croydon tram more useful than buses in Croydon.

It would worth be checking the route to see any of the stops are near where you are staying if you can't change hotels. The travel cards work on the tram.

http://www.thetrams.co.uk/croydon/stops/

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,171 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

The trams are the best way to get around Croydon but the closest stop will be Wandle Park which is further to walk to than Waddon Station and the buses don't go that close to it. The 289 goes a long way round to get to West Croydon but doesn't go to East Croydon, the option to go to Purley on the 289 is good but not as many trains stop there.

As others have said may be worthwhile seeing if you can change hotels.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,390 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

Wherever you start from, it's fairly easy. Directions from Victoria as above. Alternatively, from Blackfriars, it's an even shorter journey on the District Line. Personally, I'd favour a train to London Bridge, with a change there onto another train for the two stops to Charing Cross. Arriving at Charing Cross, exit to your right, turn right again and walk down the hill towards the River Thames.You'll see Embankment Underground station straight ahead of you. It's less than 200 yards.

9. Re: most convenient station in Croydon to get to embankment

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 05:17