We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

I know this topic has been discussed before, but can anyone tell me if there is a Bank of Scotland or Clydesdale Bank in London where I can change my RBS/Clydesdale Scottish bank notes to Bank of England notes? I am staying in the financial district during my stay, so I'm sure there must be a bank who will do this? Thanks.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,233 reviews
from US$140.64*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,956 reviews
from US$144.78*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
513 reviews
from US$97.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
813 reviews
from US$97.90*
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

Pop in to the Bank of England

Threadneedle St, London EC2R 8AH

+44 20 7601 4444

www.bankofengland.co.uk/Pages/home.aspx

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,827 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

Natwest usually do it. They are owned by RBS, who are owned by the taxpayer.

Funnily enough, I just "bought" a load of Scottish notes today to bring back to the UK. They are more acceptable than the local currency...

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,844 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

Why do you need to change the notes? Most shops will accept them

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
10,770 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

They're legal tender in England so I'd just spend them!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

*puts on pedant hat*

Technically neither Scottish nor NI notes are legal tender in England, but they are good tender. Chain stores should accept them unless the cashier is badly trained; small/independent shops most likely won't.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

"Technically neither Scottish nor NI notes are legal tender in England"

...or Scotland, where no banknotes are 'legal tender'....

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,715 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

Get rid of them before September. After that Scotland won't have any currency at all.

Wolverhampton
Level Contributor
747 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

Never had any problems spending Scottish banknotes south of the boarder. Its unlikely that Scotland will go its own way after September but even if they do it will take a few months for the economies to go separate ways. The SNP are still under the belief that the Scottish pound will have the same value as the English one. There is no guarantee of this and when told this they claim that it is Westminster bullying. If the vote is no we will still be able to spend Scottish notes otherwise Scotland will have money like Jersey which is not legal on the mainland.

London, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

As others have said you should not have any problems using currency and if you are coming from Scotland it might be easier to just ask for English notes at the end of your stay. Being pedantic its worth noting that Bank of Scotland and Royal Bank of Scotland are two completely separate entities. RBS have branches throughout London, including the City. BoS are part of Lloyds Banking Group so in theory any branch of Lloyds or Halifax would be happy to change BoS notes. Clydesdale has a branch in the West End. A simple google search will enable you to find the various branches but in all honesty I really wouldn't worry about it unless you're planning a serious money laundering operation. The Scottish independence referendum will not affect your trip or your currency.

10. Re: Changing Scottish Pound Notes to English in London

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2015, 06:16