We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
772 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

WE will arrinve in London at Gatwick at 10:00am on 7th Jan and depart Paris airport at 9:30pm on 9th Jan. WE intend to travel from London to Paris by train. Our dilemma is deciding how much time to spend in each place given that the 6th Jan is my husbands birthday so we dont wnat to be travelling at dinnertime. We will be travelling with our children 21, 19, and 17 and one other 21 year old. We intend this trip to just be a taster of the major tourist sites in each city. The kids are interested of course in going to a nightclub or 2 and not interested in traditional museums. We will be staying in the Bayswater area in London and the Latin Quarter in Paris. In London we would like to see:

-Tower of London

- London Bridge

- Big Ben

- Westminster Abbey

- Kensington Palace

- Thames Boat Ride

- ST Pauls Cathedral

- WEst End show for oldies and clubbing for young ones

- Portobello Rd Markets

WE also will do the hop on hop off bus

Any suggestions for a workable itinerary for the above is most welcome.

- Picadilly Square

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

I would group all the of outdoor walking sights into your arrival day. Stay outside and wander about and don't take in anything that would involve thought. Stay up until at least 7 or 8pm and you should wake refreshed the next day. I would prioritise the next group of sights because it will be difficult to get them all in one day. If you definitely want to see the Tower of London do that first thing when it opens. We usually make it a whole day visit until it closes but since your time is so short you will have to make it quicker if you want to see anything else. Be sure to check opening times for your specific days. Many things close early in the winter or may be closed for a special event. It also depends on how many things you intend to just see the outside or go inside for a tour. I would allow at least 2 hours for both St. Paul's and Westminster abbey unless you just want to walk through without listening to the guides. I can't help with clubbing as we are too old for that activity ourselves. We always feel like parent chaperones every single time we attempt it.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,637 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

" London Bridge"

I think you mean Tower Bridge rather than London Bridge:

leanhealthcareexchange.com/wp-content/upload…

walklondon.com/london-walks/walk-london-imag…

London, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

Forgive me if I'm being dense but I have read and re-read your post several times and I can't figure out your timings. The title says you have 8 days for both cities but the first sentence says you arrive in London on 7th Jan and you leave Paris on 9th Jan. Also you don't want to be travelling around dinner time on the 6th Jan as it's your husbands birthday but if you are arriving in London on 7th then surely you already are travelling at dinner time on the 6th? Again, apologies if I've read it all wrong!

Sydney
Level Contributor
772 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

Arrive on 2nd. Obvious typo

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
476 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

If you don't get any suggestions for clubs try Time Out . You can find an on line edition which will give you suggestions and reviews for clubs and other forms of entertainment including the theater for the parents. I'd also pass on Picadilly and go to Covent Garden for shopping and street performers.

England, United...
Level Contributor
4,806 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

At that time of year, there are often ice skating rinks at either Somerset House or near the Tower of London.

The Winter Wonderland Festival is also on in Hyde Park.

www.pwrevents.com/winterwonderland

Edited: 21 June 2014, 17:16
London, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

Not that obvious. Sorry for trying to clarify things so I could help

east coast
Level Contributor
223 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

If your kids are into soccer, consider grabbing tickets in London. We're doing a Chelsea vs. Westham match on Boxing Day ourselves.....actually the reason our particular trip got started. As you know, it's hard to get teens and 20-somethings interested in family things <G>. We are splitting our time equally. I'd prefer to spend more in Paris but you need to take into consideration the jet lag on the beginning of the trip; hence cutting it down the middle. I'm looking into private apartments as that seems best for us, but on my last visit, we stayed at a very cool Hilton which was across from the Tower of London. Pretty neat to walk the bridge and there was a great Italian restaurant at the edge of the bridge. This was also around the corner from the Dr. Jekyl tourist place. There was also a rather cool outdoor exhibit around that area of guitars. The kids would get a kick out of seeing who helped design them! Also a rather popular hangout bar at this same Hilton. Definitely take Eurostar to Paris. There are a couple of clubs along the Champs de elyses - one is between the Franklin Roosevelt and the Charles DeGaulle subway stops. Another was off to the side on the opposite side of the street (I forget the actual street). You might want to check the clubbing because some of the clubs are age specific; though I believe all yours fit into the age range - except perhaps the 17 year old. In Paris, they'll love going to the Marais area....great little shops. If any of the guys are into fashion, check out a place called Xoos. It's a great shirt shop - selling them for about 1/3 of the price in the tourist areas. If you decide to have your dinner in Paris, let me know. There is a fantastic restaurant near the Arc that isn't too expensive. Need to look up the name for you though.

Sydney
Level Contributor
772 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

Thanks so much everyone for the amazing and positive info. Still baffles me why some TA posters have to be smart. Oh well at least they are in the minority

West Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London and Paris in 8 days with teenagers

Ouch! no need for that, I think you owe lorelie an apology as currently you are most definitely in that minority.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 02:06