We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norfolk, Virginia
Level Contributor
12 posts
Save Topic
Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

So the plan is we fly in to Heathrow arriving 31DEC2014 at 0655 from U.S. Hotel is on Bath Rd right near the Airport. Check in isn't until 1500. Giving customs and time to get to the hotel and drop off bags and find something to do till check in. I was thinking taking the 111 bus to Hampton Court and walking around for a bit then back to the hotel and check in and get some rest before we head into London for the Fireworks and NYE celebration. Then its back to the hotel only to wake up in the morning to see My Son and his High School Marching band in the parade and hang out in London for a bit after.

Is this a ridiculous expectation? Will Jet Lag be that influential and really take away from our ability to enjoy the plans?

Is transportation in and out of the city going to suffer long delay's and if so what sort of a buffer would be recommended in getting into the City for both events?

Thanks in advance.

M.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
930 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

I'm assuming that you won't be in bed after NYE celebrations until close to 2 am, or even later depending on how long it takes you to get back to your hotel. Then you want to get up & go the next morning.

Sorry, but it sounds like a foolish plan to me. I'm usually lucky to make it to about 9:30 or 10:00 pm on the first day. If you force yourselves to stay up that long the first night, you're only going to have even more trouble adjusting to local time over the next few days. Just my opinion, based on personal experience...

California
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

In my opinion, you'd be much better off staying in a hotel closer to central London. You will be spending lots of time getting to/from where you want to be and public transport on NYE will mean night busses back to your LHR hotel. For convenience from LHR you can stay somewhere close to the Piccadilly tube line, try Earls Court, South Kensington or a little further in Bloomsbury/Kings Cross area.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,531 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

Not really sure what you will have can be termed jet lag when you only appear to be planning about three hours sleep in a couple of day period. That might just be regular lag.

Staying on the Bath Road would be really inconvenient for what you want to do.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
138 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

I was just in London and arrived around 7am after flying from the US overnight. I was extremely tired because I can't really sleep on flights. I would try to check in early to your hotel and get some good sleep before trying to stay up to ring in the new year.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

Malcavian,

Jet lag will affect people differently.

On my trips (note plural) adrenaline is what keeps me going for several hours when i land. the excitement of being out of dodge and in Europe is so exciting for me. I will checkin if possible and take a quick shower and I'm off. Im not a spring chicken either. I don't sleep on the plane but i may nod off sometimes depending on whats going on.

I will take in what i can and go from there. I will also hit the sack around 2100 and have a really good nights sleep. But thats me and how jet lag affects me. btw, Jet lag will hit me harder on the way back home. but i know that from my first trip so its no biggie for me. I will do the same and stay up until my "normal" sack time.

play it by ear when you get there. since you're there so early, i doubt they will have your room ready. You can ask if you can take a shower and get a change of clothes and freshen up.

i find that walking around keeps me going too.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

Your choice of hotel - staying at Heathrow when your activities are in central London - is a very poor one for the reasons given above.

You'd be much better off looking in central London. The Earls Court, Bloomsbury and Kings Cross areas are good places to look at, but in reality anywhere inside the Circle line would be fine.

If you consider switching (and please do) let us know your budget for a hotel, in pounds (£) per room per night. We may be able to help.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 04:51
Chicago
Level Contributor
144 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

We are in London right now and just arrived at Heathrow from Chicago yesterday (Sat) morning at 8:30 am. First of all, with regard to staying out near airport and commuting in: it took us by private taxi approx 45 mins (with not much traffic) to get to our hotel in central London (near Victoria Station). So the going into London, back to the hotel, and then back into London really won't be doable in my opinion without wasting lots of time.

Jet lag: To overcome and adjust, would normally very much advise staying up if at all possible that first day(you prob won't be able to check in that early anyhow) and then not going to sleep until late. However, since you plan to stay up til midnight on NYE, then you probably should try to get some rest as it will be very difficult to stay up for NYE if you don't .

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

I agree with others about changing hotels. Public transport schedules are different during holidays and sometimes it can be a real hassle working around it.

Since you plan to stay out late I would suggest requesting early check in at hotel and go right to sleep until about lunch time. Try to get as much sleep on the plane as possible. Some folks recommend sleeping pills but I take the safety warnings against this seriously. There have been cases of people dying from blood clots traveling from the legs while taking sleeping pills on planes plus if there was an emergency you would need to be alert enough to evacuate the plane. Avoid alcohol, use eye shades, ear plugs to listen to music with headphones, bring a light blanket and travel pillows to make it comfortable. If it's possible start getting on London time before you leave. Start by going to bed and waking 30 minutes earlier each day. Once you have had a nap go outside and wander around. Don't do any inside activities. It will get dark by 4:30 so take advantage of the daylight hours while you can.

Southampton, UK
Level Contributor
1,406 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

As others have said, it is not wise to base yourself at Heathrow. I presume you have done it for cost reasons but it is false economy. If you can, select a more central hotel. It may also be better to arrive on December 30, then you would have a day to adjust to the new time zone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
377 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Get a few opinions, Jet Lag and our first two days.

Heathrow may be referred to as 'London airport', but it itakes about an hour to travel into London from it. Bath Road is not particularly pleasant either- its OK for a one night stay before an early morning flight. So...listen to the advise here and get a hotel closer to the centre of London.