We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on 2-4-1/Oyster card/london pass

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
22 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on 2-4-1/Oyster card/london pass

Since it seems from the many posts I've read that advice can be very specific to one's travel plans, I am putting out my itinerary for travel with 1 adult and one 14-yr old boy to get feedback. We will each have a real suitcase when we arrive ( on wheels, but not carry-on size)

Arrive Tues July 1 LHR ( not sure which terminal) at 8 AM. Was planning to take tube into the city as it seems car traffic is so bad that going by car offers no advantage. Need to go to either Sloane Square or South Ken station ( has to do where we are depositing luggage for the day). We may do some wandering around this day but no plans for big sightseeing. We are eventually staying at an apartment at Embankment Gardens.

Wed/ Thurs in no specific order-one day will be Tower of London, perhaps Churchhill War rooms. May do a London Walks tour of the Tower.

One day we want to go to Hampton Court Palace via Richmond where we can rent bikes( tried to do a bike tour-all booked so will rent on our own). May want to do some of the journey by boat ( but only a limited portion) but not sure how that fits in.

On Friday we go to the O2 arena in the evening for Monty a Python at 19:30. Not sure what we'll do during the day. Thinking of doing that climb on the outside of the arena ( anyone done this and have thoughts?)

So I want to balance ease with sensible spending ie don't mind paying for some convenience but don't want to be thoughtless.

Here are my questions:

1) seems like 2-4-1 deals make sense. Do I buy daily Travelcards or a 7-day, given that I am in London for 4 days. I am not sure if traveling with a 14 yr old that I will be on the tube before 9:30 but I know getting to attractions early is better, so not sure if I should make a point of getting places early and thus need the more flexible card ( ie the 7 day)

2) London pass- do you really not have to queue with this? If so , such priority access may make sense in July and then makes getting to places early a moot point. I know otherwise people have panned these passes but would like people's feedback. If it does make sense, do I get it with Travel?

3) from LHR-if I am going to get a 7- day Travelcard, should I make a point of getting it ahead of time so I can use it for travel this day? It seems one can not purchase these at Heathrow, but maybe I am wrong.

4) I presuming I can't get the Travelcard at Heathrow, which station is closest to me at Embankment Gardens?

I know this is a lot of info and questions, but I have tried to make sense of this from the many forum posts and just can't figure it all out. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
9,312 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on 2-4-1/Oyster card/london pass

The travelcards that are valid for 2-4-1 have to be bought from a National Rail office. The ticket offices at LHR can sell a travelcard, but these are not issued by NationalRail and so no eligible for 2-4-1. You'd need to buy that at a Railway station, London Victoria is an obvious option.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on 2-4-1/Oyster card/london pass

Tube goes from Heathrow to South Ken with no changes (Piccadilly Line).

You won't get your money's worth with the London Pass. It only bypasses the queues in a few places anyway and they won't be too bad - just get there early for minimum crowds.

The Yeoman Warder tour of the Tower is excellent.

I haven't done the O2 climb yet but most people seem to enjoy it; there are a lot of reviews on Tripadvisor.

Consider a RIB ride on the river, you and 14 year old may enjoy it.

I wouldn't personally go by river to Richmond as it's a long trip, but ymmv of course.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 16:34
London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on 2-4-1/Oyster card/london pass

Whilst the London Pass may boast of by-passing the queues, that's only for purchasing tickets. You'd still have to adhere to security regulations, such as bag checks at each venue.

My guess is the closet National Rail Station to Embankment Gardens would be Charing Cross Station.

Edited: 22 June 2014, 16:37
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
46,135 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on 2-4-1/Oyster card/london pass

Even in terms of purchasing tickets, the lines are not long usually and when they are they move quickly. In my view, London Pass highlights avoiding lines as more of a benefit than it actually is in reality. And as Kennydon says, you will have to queue for security checks at many attractions anyway.

5. Re: Advice on 2-4-1/Oyster card/london pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 06:17