We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London to Weymouth, Buy train tix now or wait?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Topic
London to Weymouth, Buy train tix now or wait?

Hi everyone, I am traveling from Heathrow to Weymouth in mid August. Not sure if I should buy the train tickets now or wait until I arrive. This is my first trip to England and I worry that if I am delayed getting there that it will mess up my train tix if I buy them in advance. Would love the input of some more experienced British travelers. Thanks from Baltimore.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London to Weymouth, Buy train tix now or wait?

They will be cheaper if you buy 'advance' singles now - but as you say if you are delayed they will be of no use if you miss the train. There's no easy answer to that other than allow plenty of time and be prepared to wait around if you are not delayed.

If you are returning the same way then it's worth considering an off peak return - can be bought on the day at the same price and isn't always vastly more expensive than two singles.

Picking up tickets is another problem - you can't do it at Heathrow

Edited: 23 June 2014, 07:07
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,503 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: London to Weymouth, Buy train tix now or wait?

There's a coach service to Woking station from where you can get a direct train to Weymouth. The train is £47.90 if paying on the day which is a lot cheaper - and substantially faster - than going into London, changing stations there and out again

Advance fares start at around £12, you can collect them at Woking

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…dep

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: London to Weymouth, Buy train tix now or wait?

If travelling from Heathrow to Weymouth, you may want to consider taking the Railair coach link from Heathrow to Woking, from where you can pick up the train to Weymouth.

This will save you having to travel from Heathrow into London and then having to make your way to Waterloo station to catch the train to Weymouth.

Baltimore, Maryland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: London to Weymouth, Buy train tix now or wait?

Thank you everyone, your advice was right on the money. Now onto the fun pat of the planning process like pubs and gardens and trail rides. Happy summer ya'll.

5. Re: London to Weymouth, Buy train tix now or wait?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 06:16