We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

Ashland Oregon
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

We plan to stay overnight at the Heathrow Sofitel Hotel near terminal 5 in order to have an easier time catching an early morning flight. I understand that is the only hotel directly connected to the terminal.

Is it a long trek? How much time will it take us to reach the terminal proper and is it mostly underground or must we deal with all the construction?

London
Level Contributor
10,337 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

Very short walk - covered. No idea what you mean by "construction".

Don't cut it too fine, BA have very strict check in cut off times - which they do stick to.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

It's not underground, it's corridors. And yes, what do you mean by "construction"? Are you thinking of T2 which is miles away?

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,197 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

If your flight arrives at a B or C gate at one of the satellite terminal buildings you will find the walk from the airbridge (plus the short ride on the free transit train) to passport control considerably longer than the quick amble to the Sofitel. There is no 'construction' along that route.

After immigration and baggage collection you will go through to Arrivals - look to the right towards the north end of the terminal building where you will find signs pointing the way to the Sofitel.

Ashland Oregon
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

thanks, both of you, and I guess I was thinking of terminal 2. Have not been to London in over 40 years so I am only going on pictures and hearsay. Since we are elderly I am planning everything carefully!

Would leaving the hotel 2 hours before flight time be adequate (we would have already checked in electronically)?

Ashland Oregon
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

forgot to add we will be leaving from Heathrow...not arriving....Flying out on BA non stop to Seattle Washington.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,627 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

You should be looking to check in between two and a half and three hours before flight departure time for long haul flights and about two hours at the most for domestic and short haul. Security can be very busy and at one stage last week the more popular north security was closed for some time as it had got so full.

Ashland Oregon
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

Thanks... Is that popular north security station the one we would be using coming from the Sofitel hotel?

Even though this hotel is extremely expensive I am glad we chose it especially if we should be at the airport @ 3 hours prior to our flight . Will have to plan on having breakfast once we are through security rather than at the hotel before we leave.

London
Level Contributor
409 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

" Is that popular north security station the one we would be using coming from the Sofitel hotel?"

Sofitel is at the north end of the terminal so you would come up the lift at that end so the north security station would be the closest. However if you're checking in baggage using the premium zone which is at the south end of the terminal you would most likely go through the south security.

That said you can use either. It's not that far between the two security zones.

I prefer the north zone as there are far more security gates and once you are through it's easier to go to the main floor as the esculators are right there.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,627 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

North Zone was shut again for a while this morning. It can be a real annoyance especially as the useless nuggets in the purple jackets often try to claim that the south security is for business and first class passengers only.

Ashland Oregon
Level Contributor
275 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Sofitel Hotel and terminal 5

Do you know about what time the North Zone was shut down? Hopefully after 7 AM!!! Thanks!