We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
873 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I'm cheap and just trying to see if I can get this all done in 1 day with a 1 day London Pass thing (I'm staying in London for 4 days) and have other things I want to do those days:

Tower of London

London Bridge Experience

River Thames cruise

Hampton Court

Windsor

I have been to the Tower and Windsor before but I have a feeling it is too much trying to get Windsor in.

I figured Tower would be 2 hours, Experience 1 hour, one way cruise 1 hour, Hampton Court 2 hours, Windsor 2 hours. Of course none of this includes transportation and lunch! It's just me going so I can do things at my own pace.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

...spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down...

Happy travels to you Gefiltefish!

Yuri.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
786 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I LIVE in London and it is NOT do-able! Trust me on that one, G.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,134 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

Complete lightweight. You haven't even tried to squeeze in Westminster Abbey ;-)

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

Wirewiper! OP may take you seriously!

Yuri.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I'm sorry, but Laura, and everyone else who has tried to help, is right. Let's say you arrive at the Tower of London by 9, when it opens Tues-Sat. You need to be at Windsor Castle by 4. That is seven hours. Now let's subtract time spent travelling from one place to another. Tower to London Bridge Experience is 15 mins. Not sure what you plan to do about your river cruise. The one that is included in the London Pass begins at Tower Pier. Unless you want to buy a ticket to take the RB1 operated by Thames Clippers (presumably not the company running the London Pass cruises) then that is another 15 mins back to where you started. You then take the boat just one stop to London Eye for Waterloo station. Including time waiting for a train allow up to 1hr15mins to get to Hampton Court Palace. Allow up to 2 hrs to get from Hampton Court Palace to Windsor Castle (including waiting time). That is already 3 hrs and 45 mins travelling time, about 4hr and 30 mins including your river cruise (you may have to wait for a boat). so that leaves you about 1 hour to see the Tower of London, 30 mins to see London Bridge Experience, and 1 hour to see Hampton Court Palace. If you can time your journeys perfectly to avoid waiting for trains you can maybe have as much as 90 mins each at the Tower and Hampton Court and 45 mins at London Bridge Experience. And at the end of your day you will have 1hr15mins to see Windsor Castle. So a total of about 4 hours for actual sightseeing and about 6 hours on public transport. That sounds like a good way to have a horrible day in and around London seeing almost nothing of what you are here to see.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,020 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

The only way the London Pass works is rush about spending little time at the actual attractions and carefully planning to make sure you don't go over the purse value. The hapless visitor doesn't actually get to see very much, but does quickly become knowledgeable about the transport system.

I am afraid that the original itinerary, as posted, is going to need a minimum of two days or it will not be worth doing at all.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I have never yet found one of these passes that actually works. The only ones that seem to save you money while allowing you to actually have worthwhile time at the attractions included are the non-commercial ones, such as Historic Royal Palaces membership. The only worthwhile one I have found outside London is a pass issued in Portugal which gives admission to all of the country's national museums. Anything called "[Name of city] Pass/Card/etc" seems to turn out to be not worth it.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,020 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

Yes, I usually avoid such things. Even if there is a saving to be had it's usually very small and comes at the cost of freedom and flexibility.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
6,823 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

IME the York Pass (formerly Yorkshire Pass) does. I used it twice on my first two visits (alone) to York a few years ago. But only really because most of York's attractions are only a short walk from each other, the majority of them charge, and also there are quite a few that don't take much time.

London, UK
Level Contributor
7,040 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

Actually the problem is the combination of Hampton Court and Windsor, which although they are both to the west of London are not easy to get between. Drop Windsor and be prepared for a river trip to be limited to between Tower Pier and Westminster/Charing Cross, it would be possible. Whether it is worth curtailing the Tower for the London Bridge Experience is a different matter.