We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego...
Level Contributor
889 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I'm cheap and just trying to see if I can get this all done in 1 day with a 1 day London Pass thing (I'm staying in London for 4 days) and have other things I want to do those days:

Tower of London

London Bridge Experience

River Thames cruise

Hampton Court

Windsor

I have been to the Tower and Windsor before but I have a feeling it is too much trying to get Windsor in.

I figured Tower would be 2 hours, Experience 1 hour, one way cruise 1 hour, Hampton Court 2 hours, Windsor 2 hours. Of course none of this includes transportation and lunch! It's just me going so I can do things at my own pace.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I have never been to the London Bridge Experience, but from all that I've seen I doubt that it's worth it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
889 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I'll try not to have a sense of humor on here because I see it doesn't work!

Anyway I am definitely not the kind of person who can spend all day at a castle or a museum. Just never have been.

Having Windsor and Hampton did seem to be the problem even before I posted on here. I figured at the minimum I would be at each place for 2 hours (been to Windsor before but I don't think I went to Hampton, I may have though).

I'm traveling in October. I've traveled to Europe in the summer a few times and I will never do it again!!

As for London Bridge Experience, I realize someone who can spend hours at museum and is an appreciator of the arts probably wouldn't like that LOL. It's the kind of thing I enjoy :) As much as I love traveling internationally, I love things like Disneyland and fun experiences with someone trying to scare me. I'm not a sophisticated person at all.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 17:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,313 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

It's not about having a sense of humour, just a sense of time and distance. Windsor is 25 miles outside central London. Hampton Court Palace is 15 miles from central London with no public transport directly to Windsor. By public transport, you would have to double back to central London, which would take 1.5 hours if you time it perfectly. And that's just the time on the train, there is also walking to and from the station to be considered. Taking a taxi would save time, but it would more than eat of the "savings" from the London Pass.

Your proposed timings *might* work if you had a teleportation device, but in the real world, it takes time to travel to those locations.

Here's what it looks like:

9-11 am -- Tower of London (assuming it's one of the days the Tower of London opens at 9 rather than 10 am)

11-11.15 am -- walk from Tower to London Bridge experience

11.15 am - 12.15 pm -- London Bridge Experience

12.15-12.30 -- walk back to Tower bridge to pick up cruise

12.40-1.10pm River Thames cruise (only run every half hour, so if you miss the 12.40 sailing, add half an hour on here)

1.15-2.15pm -- travel from Westminster to Hampton Court Palace

2.45-4.15pm -- Hampton Court Palace

4.15-5.45pm -- travel from Hampton Court Palace to Windsor. Oops, Windsor castle closed to visitors almost 2 hours ago

5.45-6.45 pm -- travel back to London from Windsor.

6.46 pm -- collapse

Note, there is no time for eating or visiting a toilet during this timetable, and you still have no time to see Windsor Castle. I have used your suggested timings in the OP for how long you want to spend on these things, except for the boat cruise, which I have shortened on the basis that you would take the shorter Tower Bridge-Westminster cruise. If you want to take the boat for the full length of Greenwich-Westminster, the boat trip itself is 80 minutes and you would need to add another half hour to get from the London Bridge Experience to Greenwich and up to 35 minutes waiting for a boat there, meaning you would get to Hampton Court rather after 3 pm and not get to Windsor until nearly 7pm.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 17:36
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

All the others are right. The original plan is not doable.

And if you are not the kind of person who can spend all day at a castle or museum, then why plan your trip around castles and museums that it takes all day to see? London has every form of human activity to offer, so why not do some things that suit you better? Maybe you are interested in food, literature, music, or science?

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

If your goal is to get to each location and take a few selfies outside and maybe take a peek of the inside of the gate then, yes it *might* be doable assuming no toilet breaks and no stopping for food. I call it driveby tourism. Personally I don't feel I would get my value for the money since you won't actually see anything. Better to just travel to each location and view it from the outside.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,012 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I love things like Disneyland and fun experiences with someone trying to scare me.

------------

Then go to the London Dungeon, Madame Tussaud's, a theme park with scary rides or possibly somewhere other than London which seems a rather odd choice tbh. I have no idea whether the LP or the Merlin pass would work for such sites but you'd still only have time for a coujple per day.

(And fwiw your comment to Laura may have been meant to be funny but it came across as rude and mean which the lack of apology does nothing to dispel ).

37. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 June 2014, 19:30
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,079 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I like a good pile on, not sure it's needed in this case though. Gafiltafish clearly intended the comment to be tongue in cheek, such things are hard to convey in the context of an online conversation with strangers however.

OP, of course you will go to the places you want to. And spend how much time you want to there (if I'm understanding you are not saying you're not interested in 'castles and museums' just that you won't spend a lot of time at each one?). Windsor and Hampton is logistcially hard for one day. Pick one, don't be too wedded to your schedule and add time for travelling, eating, etc and then work out the maths as to whether you think the London Pass will save you money.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
889 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

I guess I just did want a taste of each one. I'm not someone who has to stop to read everything. The only museum in London that I could spend beyond 2 hours in would be the Imperial War Museum. I went there and my family was rushing me to leave because I did read everything.

I did the London Dungeon before. I'd like to try the London Bridge Experience and compare. As hard as it may be to comprehend, sometimes a 20 something single American does want something beyond Cancun, Disneyland, but isn't ready yet to spend hours looking at Victorian art. I want something in between. I can have both :)

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
45,851 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Is this too much to try to do in 1 day?

The point is how much time is it worth to get a taste of something? And if you've seen Windsor Castle before, why go again if you aren't that interested in spending some time there? I have a feeling that it's only because they are on the London Pass!

Have you visited HMS Belfast, by the way? It sounds like you'd enjoy that if you haven't already been.