We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Aug 2014

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
London Aug 2014

Hi, we are 2 families travelling down south from the North West in August for a few days. We plan to spend our first day at Harry Potter tour in Watford as we are staying at the Watford North premier inn. We are travelling into London on the following 2 days and I note from the travel info that there will be engineering works on overhead train lines through August weekends. Can anyone advise us on the best way to travel into London? I have been trying to work out which tube stations etc but am starting to become "blinded by the science of it all" . I would appreciate your replies and advice on this matter.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London Aug 2014

Bump.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Aug 2014

From North Watford/Garston, your best bet would be to head over to St Albans for First Capital Connect services into London.

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

Edited: 24 June 2014, 10:08
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Aug 2014

Depending on your dates, you could also see if you could switch your hotel booking to the brand new Premier Inn in St.Albans City Centre, which is due to be open in August. That would be a much nicer location than Watford North, with a large choice of nice pubs, restaurants, parks and other attractions all within easy walking distance, and a 10 minute walk to St.Albans train station for trains to London.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Aug 2014

Hi, thanks for your replies. I've been told premier inn St. Albans won't be open. We travel down this coming Saturday and I've been checking the nearest train stations that we can access London from. The two I can see are Garson & watford north We will be driving to the station and when I have googled these stations it says there isn't a car park. Can anyone give better information as to which station would be the best to travel from to London. Thank you for your help.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Aug 2014

Probably best to drive to St Albans City (NOT the Abbey station) which isn't that far from the Watford North PI. Not sure of the car park costs but trains to St Pancras are fast and frequent.

Garston and Watford North are halts and link with the closed mainline at Watford Junction. Watford tube station (Metropolitan line) is a possible option but parking near the station has restrictions and it takes 45 minutes to reach Baker Street - stick to St Albans.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Aug 2014

Thank you for your help. So the best option is to go from St. Albans City, which station is best for central london or can you advise on a tube if necessary to reach central london.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,152 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Aug 2014

St Albans City is the station - nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sac/details.html

It will take 23 minutes to reach St Pancras from where tubes and buses will take you pretty much anywhere in central tourist London.

Ormskirk, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London Aug 2014

Thank you for your help! Greatly appreciated.

9. Re: London Aug 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2015, 06:17