We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
324 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

hi

can i pls check if i want to buy an off peak return ticket (my understanding is that this ticket is flexible on any trains standard class as long as it doesn't fall within peak period) from london to northampton (depart london on a sun 10+am & return to london on a thurs 4+pm), should i pre-order online or can i get it at a train station?

If i can get it at a train station, do i need to get it from a national rail station (e.g. waterloo, london bridge, euston etc.)?

How do i get my seats reserved (as I'm traveling in a pair and would like to seat together) & do i have to pay extra?

I've managed to get the timetable from national rail website but deliberating whether i should order the off peak train tickets online.

my plan for next week (5th Jul) is to travel from heathrow to waterloo, stay a night at waterloo (with luggage) and get my tickets from the station at waterloo then the next day's morning (6th Jul), tube to euston and take a train northwards to northampton.

just to also check, i can get BUSplus card for 2pounds at the train station when i get my rail tickets too right with a off peak train ticket?

any advise would be greatly appreciated! :)

thanks much in advance and an urgent response would be great!

Tower Bridge
Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks, Observation Decks & Towers
Millennium Bridge
Scenic Walking Areas, Bridges, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,245 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

You can buy the ticket on the day you travel. There's no need or advantage to buying a walk up ticket in advance.

Yes, you buy it from any railway station (although, again, Euston when you actually arrive there to get the train makes most sense). If you want to buy at Waterloo the day before that will work equally as well.

There are no seat reservations on London Midland trains. Get on and find two seats together.

Edited: 24 June 2014, 16:50
London
Level Contributor
10,599 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

Your understanding of the ticket is correct. You can order it online, but there is no particular reason to. It is easy to buy at the station, the price is the same, it will never sell out. You buy the ticket at a National Rail station. Euston is the obvious one, as that's where the train leaves from. But if you happen to be in another National Rail station with some spare time, you can buy there. (Make sure you're clear about departure date if buying ahead, they'd normally issue the ticket for 'today').

This service is operated by LondonMidland. There are no reservations. As you're travelling at a quiet time, you shouldn't have any trouble getting seats together.

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

You can travel off-peak at any time on a Sunday. If you can commit to travelling on a specific train, advance tickets from Euston to Northampton are available from £7 one way - a substantial saving. They have to be bought in advance (like it says on the tin) up to the day before you travel, either at a National Rail ticket office or on-line. Plusbus is £3 if you buy at a ticket office or £2 if you buy on-line.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
324 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

thanks for everyone's reply! if i book the tickets online can i print my own tickets? or do i need to collect it from a station counter?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,384 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

You will get an e-mail confirmation but you need to collect the tickets from a machine at the station. You will need your booking reference (from the e-mail) and the card you paid with.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
324 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

thanks much, indeed doesnt make any sense to order it online if i go for an open ticket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

Depending on where you are going in northampton it might not be worth getting a bus ticket. It is a small town and the station is very near to the centre.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
324 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

i would need to go to avenue campus of university of northampton and back as im on a summer school there. is it walkable? or can i rent a bike for a few days to cycle to school? i will b staying near the bus station.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
8,245 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

It would be about 15- 20 minutes walk.

10. Re: Off Peak train tickets from London to Northampton (return)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2015, 06:16