We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

waffling about airports

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
waffling about airports

Jr. and I are having trouble deciding whether to fly in and out of London OR in and out of Edinburgh next May. We thought it might be less of a hassle to do so in Edinburgh since the London airports are so crowded, busy and prone to troubles. In either case we'd take a train to the other city for a week and wouldn't miss anything, so it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Therefore we can't make up our minds. Anybody have an opinion?

Nashua, New...
Level Contributor
425 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: waffling about airports

Edinburgh airport is very easy to get in and out of, and there's an airlink bus just steps away from the airport. Much smaller, and definitely less stressful than Heathrow!

Somerset, England
Level Contributor
2,476 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: waffling about airports

whistlingdixie,

Personally, given the choice between landing at Heathrow T3 or Edinburgh... North of the border wins. Sorry, but I just find Heathrow T3 dirty, dingy and depressing.

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: waffling about airports

Can you fly into one and out of the other? It would save you a train trip back to your starting place.

London, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: waffling about airports

One way flights between America and the UK are very expensive. Ive just had a look and one way flights between London and New York with BA are around £450. If you book a return trip for say 5 days its only just over £300.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: waffling about airports

It doesn't involve buying one-way tickets, just an open jaw return into one and out of the other. Any airline website can do this.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,164 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: waffling about airports

Open-jaw flights are what you need. Fly into London and out of Edinbugh (or the other way round).

I do this a lot when travelling to the US and my experience (and confirmation from BA) is that the price is not increased by doing this. It's calculated as an average of the straight-return fare to each of the two cities.

Where in Florida are you flying from? You may find flights more competetively priced into London. For me, the cost, flight times and whether the flights are direct would determine my routing.

USA
Level Contributor
7,036 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: waffling about airports

I have had to pay more for my open jaw flights than for round trip flights to the more expensive airport. The savings in time and train fares has more than made up for the added expense.

Kayak.com does a good meta search of open jaw fares.

Florida
Level Contributor
3,035 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: waffling about airports

Thanks for the good info. Jr. is flying out of Orlando, but I'm flying out of a small local and having at least 1 stop along the way. But that's ok. I'm going free with my frequent flyer miles. Our London airport would be Gatwick if that makes any difference. I'm not sure if reward travel would allow an open-jaw trip.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,851 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: waffling about airports

Its years since I've been to Gatwick but it was always a much more pleasant experience than Heathrow back then.

Given the choice I would opt for Scotland as the main airports there tend to get less security scares, are much smaller and less stressful. I think there are a few new airlines running to scotland from florida next year - Virgin and Zoom I think.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,125 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: waffling about airports

After flying into Glasgow last year I now prefer non London airports to arrive at from Canada. Glasgow was a dream for picking up luggage, heading through passport and customs and quickly grabbing a taxi outside. Shame Zoom doesn't fly into Edinburgh because that's where we're heading next year.