We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

We are considering where to stay for our next trip to London. Our last trip found us in a flat out in Barking - which was great, self catering and dirt cheap, but a bit too far out to be convenient for this trip. We've also stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Swiss Cottage, and while we liked the area and the hotel was quite OK, we have decided against it this time.

We've looked at flats to rent, but it seems they're all either too expensive or they want the entire cost paid at least a month or more before you arrive and a security deposit often equal to the amount of your rental fee that's held for a month after you've left! That's out for us, as I don't like to pay for something in full before I've seen it (unless it is very reasonable, is rented from somewhere with an impeccable reputation and comes with personal recommendations), and we're on a bit of a budget so double the cost of accomodations - even for just a couple of months - is a hardship.

I think I have narrowed it down to two options. A traditional chain hotel, the Premier Travel Inn (probably Kings Cross) and base2stay.

My husband is rather obsessive about wanting a fridge in the room, which I don't believe Premier Travel Inn has. We both appreciate having a kitchenette, as it does save money and is more convenient sometimes. But the size of the rooms at base2stay seems to be a concern.

We can't pay more than 100 GBP/night, and would prefer to keep it under 80 GBP/night (which I know isn't really doable at base2stay).

What are your thoughts? Or do you have another suggestion to toss into the mix (I'd love to hear it!)?

We're planning on roughly five nights at the beginning of November and will be traveling in/out of either Stansted or Luton.

Aarhus, Denmark
Level Contributor
243 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

E, I don't know either hotels, but have a look at 'Luna & Simone hotel' - it gets great reviews and is probably your best cheap option. Haven't stayed there either, and I don't know if there's a fridge in the room. Frankly, in my opinion, cheaper hotels tend not to have a fridge...

Have a great trip!

Kirsten

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

Base2stay does give you the fridge and kitchenette option plus you have air-con, flat screen tv and a very good shower. The single rooms I saw were very small but the doubles (£99-£110) were slightly larger. Deal direct and ask them for the best deal.

If you are going to stick with The Premier Travel Inn then why not go for the one with the best location, County Hall? All rooms at priced at £92 which is a tad more but location, location,location!

The B&B Belgravia in Ebury Street near to Victoria station is another possibility. Again a bit more (£99) but with breakfast included and free internet access should that be important.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

EvilShell: I took a tour of Base2stay with Adam and agree that the single rooms are small. But the larger rooms were very nice and the kitchenette is a definite plus. Like Adam said, call them and see if you can work a deal. Maybe mention that you read about the hotel on TALF.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
416 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

While not familiar with base2stay, my family and I have stayed at the PremierTravel Inn County Hall on 3 separate occassions, and the location is superb. Rather close to Waterloo station, the London Eye is right there, pier there for river cruise, right at Westminster Bridge...... perfect. And no worries about the fridge... there is a convenience store directly across Belvedere Road... about 12 steps from the front door. Good for the morning paper, a pint of milk and orange juice, and fresh coffee and bagels a door or two down...... We reserved a larger family room for 92 GBP/night for our 4 nights in London this November.........

Give it a try.....!

premiertravelinn.com/pti/hotelInformation.do…

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,763 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

Just want to add my thumbs up for county hall travel inn - just love the location. Base to stay sounds reasonable though - i havent tried it myself.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

I will go out on a limb here. While the cheaper rooms are relatively cheaper I find the larger rooms over priced. Rack rates of 175pounds for a deluxe room, for that price I can stay at a full service hotel like the Millenium Gloucester or Holiday Inns and have as much room. Have you thought about the Holiday Inn Express Hammersmith or Earls Court. Some good rates there specially if pre-paying in advance (I think both are about a 5 or 10 minute walk from a tube station however which could count against them).

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

Sorry should have said for much less than that I have stayed (and indeed now booked) at 4 and 5 star full serv ice hotels for less than that.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,624 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

The King's Cross Travel Inn is in a bit of an unfortuante spot, right now. Last month, I rode the number 10 bus to its terminus behind the station, to see how much work had been done on the new Eurostar station. The TI faces York Way, which as of then was a bit of a building site, with the view of heavy equipment and a less than wonderful sight of the back of King's X being re-done, pulled apart, or in some stage of construction. Not exacly the most desirable sight on which to cast your view when walking out of the hotel.

However. The location is great for bus and tube connections, and the TI certainly provides a decent product for the price, although there aren't fridges in the rooms. London Euston might be a better pick, although the Euston Road isn't really an area of outstanding natural beauty.

base2stay does sound good, too......

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

Adam & LeeB - Thank you both for your insight, especially since you've seen the rooms at b2s! If we decide to go that route, we will definitely call and see what kind of a deal we can strike with them.

6andy6 - I agree. I'd never pay rack rate at that amount (175 GBP) for a hotel of the b2s caliber! I'd rather stay out in Barking in the slightly grungy 35 GBP/night apartment again instead! :)

TravellerPlus - Thanks for the updated info on the Kings Cross area. It changes so much every time I go back, you don't know what to expect. I wouldn't care much about the view upon leaving the hotel, but I would worry about the noise from the construction.

I think we'll also start looking around and see what else we might find in this price range. I've ruled out the Premier Travel Inn County Hall (thanks for the suggestions, everyone!) as we really don't like the neighborhood there that much and we're not going for the typical tourist sites. We are also looking at the Premier Travel Inn in Kensington, and other hotels around Earls Court. We've stayed near there before (at the Ibis closer to the West Brompton station) and liked the neighborhood (but wouldn't pay money again for the Ibis).

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Premier Travel Inn versus base2stay

I know what you mean about The Ibis!

It may be worth looking at The Mayflower in Trebovir Road which has been getting some good reviews in the papers since it had a facelift although the reviews on TA are mixed to say the least.

Having said that The Premier Travel Inn Kensington is a stones throw from Base2stay and you know what you will be getting.