We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

Hong kong
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Topic
A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

Do you who've stayed w A Place Like Home apts know if they generally provide--

Shampoo conditioner soap

Oil sugar salt pepper

And such basics?

Going with my kids to londonmand don't know if I need to have all this stuff w me....

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,717 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

Would have thought it unusual for any holiday apartment rental to provide such items myself.

I'd not bring those things though as all can be easily bought locally cheaply.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,909 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

I wouldn't expect those to provided in a flat rental but some providers do leave a 'welcome hamper' with things like coffee/tea/milk and so on. Best to ask APLH for any you are considering.

London
Level Contributor
840 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

If some things are not provided you can easily buy them in London, so you would not have to bring them with you. There is somewhere to buy such items within a few hundred yards almost anywhere in London.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

We used APLH for our rental in 2012.

They do not provide those things as a matter of course, but some basic food stuffs *may* be in the apt from other renters. We found salt, pepper, sugar, and a few other spices, and left behind additional sugar (that came free with our grocery order) with an OK by the person who checked us out. She said it was fine to leave things like that, but no perishables.

They do provide a "starter" supply of toilet paper and paper towels (I think one roll of each) and trash bags needed for the city trash collection.

You will need to provide everything else. Depending upon how long you are there, you might want to do what we did, which was to order basic food supplies and toiletries from the grocery store, to be delivered first thing in the morning (they were there at 7 am.) Or, as others have said, lots of stores around to pick up those items - no need to haul it all with you.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

Contact them directly to find out what is provided, and/or what is provided (like a welcome basket) at an additional cost. Also google map the property and then use "search nearby" to locate grocery and pharmacies in the area.

A welcome basket can sometimes be a godsend, if for example, you arriving after a long day of traveling. I remember doing this once (not in London) and we were provided with a very generous amount of items--dinner, breakfast, basics--practically at cost, and all delivered to the apartment. Red and White wine as well.

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

We paid for a welcome basic in Italy one trip and agree, Laura, it was fantastic to have that after a very long day (and on a Sunday, so no stores open by the time we arrived.)

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

That's exactly why I got it! We had a medium flight, then a long drive, and depending on the traffic, the single grocery store in town might or might not be open. So the hospitality basket was great.

8. Re: A place like home rentals - do they provide basic amenities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 06:17