We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London questions -- Last minute ones, too

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
London questions -- Last minute ones, too

Hi All,

We leave on Tuesday for London for 3 days. Really more like 2 1/2. My husband has some health issues so I'm thinking it'll be best to do as much bus riding or taxiing as possible. Our thought was to get on a double decker bus tour and see as much as we can to get an overview..and then decide on two or three things to see in more detail. (1) Does the Oyster card cover those buses? Or, is that a separate touristy kinda thing? (2) We're staying in S. Kensington. Is it easy to get a double decker bus over there? (3) name your #1 favorite attraction that we should not miss.... just one. (4) I want the kinda bus we can hop on and off whenever we get the itch. (5) Favorite pub... really good fish ' chips + a good beer... I know it's late. I'm usually way more on top of things than this, but not this time. :-) Thanks for your help!

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,510 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

The Oyster card does not cover the HOHO buses, only regular public transport buses. These are also mostly double decker but not open topped as I think most of the HOHO buses have been when I've seen them.

Top place to see - Tower of London.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,551 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

1. Oyster covers the 'normal' London buses, but not tour buses such as the Hop on Hop off ones.

2. When we stayed in Gloucester Road, every bus we caught towards Hyde Park and central London was a double decker.

3. My personal favourite is the Museum of London

4, You can hop on and off any bus with Oyster, and if you only use buses, not the Underground or DLR, your costs will be capped at around £4.50 per day, no matter how many bus trips you make.

But remember if you want to use a tour bus you will have to pay for a relatively expensive tour bus ticket!

5. I have lots of favourite pubs, including The George in Southwark, The Ship in Holborn and the Black Friar opposite Blackfriars station. But fish and chips is better from a traditional chippy!

Edited: 28 June 2014, 23:20
Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

Thank y'all! How do I find out where to buy tickets for HOHO buses? Since we have such a short time there, we want to get a good overview with as little walking as possible.

Also, is there a recommended "Chippy?"

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

Use London red buses for transport rather then the hop on hop off buses, which are a tour, not transport. London buses run far more often than the tour buses and cover a great deal more of London than the tour buses as well.

https:/…southkensington-a4.pdf Of those that serve South Kensington, the number 70 is a little hoppa (and if memory serves the 360 is as well) but the others are all double deckers. You will have lots of choices for connections at Hyde Park Corner as well: https:/…hydeparkcorner-a4.pdf

Pubs that advertise 'London's best fish and chips' should be done for unfair advertising - go to a chip shop rather than a pub for fish and chips (but avoid the chippy in Gloucester Road). Having said that though, the (breaded, not battered) posh fish fingers that are more goujons than Captain Birdseye served up at the Perseverance in Lamb's Conduit Street will, along with the fat chips or thinner fries, be quite a tasty meal along with a pint or a half of your desired beverage.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
310 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

Hi Bellingham from a former Ballard resident

. Our number one place is the Tower of London because of tremendous history. Quite a bit of walking. Once inside look for the free Warders tour.

Second was Westminster Abbey. I almost passed this by. Note you can see Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament, and Buckingham Palace in the same area.

Traveller plus is right on about the red buses. The hop on hop off us is pricey. Look it up on google and it will tell you where to get on.

Regular buses no longer take cash. You'll need travel cards or oyster.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

Do you have a favorite "Chippy" place?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

Chippy - Master Super Fish, Waterloo.

They close lunch service at 3.00pm and don't open on a Sunday.

I had their lunchtime special a few weeks back. Haddock or plaice and a drink (tea, coffee or soda), bread and butter for £7.20. Fantastic.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,818 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

https:/…

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

Thanks so much!

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London questions -- Last minute ones, too

A few more questions...

Does one have to "dress up" for tea? Or, is there a such thing as having a nice tea with casual clothes? If you don't have to dress up, where is a good place for tea?

And, are busses/the tube safe at night? We'd like to go from South Kensington to Jaimie Oliver's Fifteen -- which it appears is near the Old Street station... A long way from S. Kensington. I know taxis are expensive, but is it safer at night? Or, should we feel safe regardless of time of day?

Thanks.