We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

FL
Level Contributor
156 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

WE are leaving soon and I have a few more questions.

Arriving at Gatwick at 7:30 am. Headed to Westminster area. Victoria station is 1/2 mile to flat, ST James is 1/3 mile. Thinking we need to take The Gatwick Express train because of the time we are arriving, we are a family of 4 with a small suitcase each. It is 70L round trip. We have a flight to Ireland that leaves at 10:50am on Wednesday, what time should we get to Victoria Station to make flight?

For getting around London, here is what we would like to see. We prefer to walk as much as possible as you might miss something being underground but understand there may be times we need to use the tubes.

Westminster Abbey

Big Ben/Parliament- just walking by

Natural History Museum

Churchill War Rooms

Bristish Museum

Tower of London

HMS Belfast(maybe)

St Paul's Cathedral

Kensington Gardens

St James Park

We were going to do a bike tour but we will see as it's supposed to rain Saturday.

I am thinking the 2 for 1 deals won't help s as my kids are free most places(or family pass) and so are the museums and we might skip some of these. Should we do an oyster card or just pay for the tube as we use it?

Thanks again.

Can't wait!

Mentioned in this post
Westminster
Westminster
4,279 Reviews
London, UK
St. James's Park
St. James's Park
15,101 Reviews
London, UK
Gatwick Express
Gatwick Express
413 Reviews
London, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
London
London
England, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
18,727 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
27,932 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
52,813 Reviews
London, UK
HMS Belfast
HMS Belfast
3,171 Reviews
London, UK
St. Paul's Cathedral
St. Paul's Cathedral
13,230 Reviews
London, UK
Kensington Gardens
Kensington Gardens
3,816 Reviews
London, UK
Australia
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

"Thinking we need to take The Gatwick Express train because of the time we are arriving" - no, the Southern Service will take a little longer (a matter of minutes), but save you money.

" It is 70L round trip" - a what?

" We have a flight to Ireland that leaves at 10:50am on Wednesday, what time should we get to Victoria Station to make flight?" - there's nowhere for planes to take off from Victoria Station, which airport are you using?

I wouldn't worry too much about the forecast for 5 days ahead - it's subject to change, a lot.

Mentioned in this post
Gatwick Express
Gatwick Express
413 Reviews
London, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
233 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

" It is 70L round trip" - a what?

I think the OP is trying to say "It is £70 round trip". American computer keyboards do not have a symbol to indicate the British pounds monetary unit and a capital letter L was the closest alternative. However I learned I helpful tip years ago - press Alt and 156 and you will get the £ symbol.

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

Tigga - "L" = Libra = Pounds. If the OP doesn't have a pound symbol on her US keyboard (more than probable) this is the easiest form of shorthand.

TMFL - as mentioned above, you will save quite a bit by taking the Southern service, and only spending an extra 20 mins on the train. Even cheaper would be the train to London Bridge (£10 pp as opposed to £20 on the Gatwick Express). I would use some of that saving to get a taxi from London Bridge Station to your accommodation (should cost about £15), thereby avoiding the need to lug any bags down the road and leaving you free to admire the view from the taxi window.

Have a look here at train times and fares and bear in mind it will probably take you a good hour to clear immigration etc, assuming you land on time, so I doubt you will be on the train before 0830.

…nationalrail.co.uk/service/…search

For your flight to Ireland, aim to arrive 1.5 hours before check-in to clear security, then work back from there.

You will find that weather forecasts more than 48 hours out are extremely inaccurate in the UK, and even 24 hours before can be a bit of a challenge, simply because we are at the confluence of 5 different weather zones, which makes accurate prediction a bit of a lottery. Whatever you have read for this coming Saturday can therefore be ignored.

Re your list of attractions, many of them are literally a stone's throw from each other (St.James Park, Churchill War Rooms, Westminster Abbey etc) and others can be reached easily by bus, Tube or taxi. You may find this website useful.

http://walkit.com/cities/london/

Mentioned in this post
London Bridge
London Bridge
286 Reviews
London, UK
Gatwick Express
Gatwick Express
413 Reviews
London, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
St. James's Park
St. James's Park
15,101 Reviews
London, UK
Churchill War Rooms
Churchill War Rooms
17,851 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster Abbey
Westminster Abbey
18,727 Reviews
London, UK
London, United...
Level Contributor
5,774 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

You probably don't need the Gatwick Express. The normal Southern Trains service will do equally well. If you are leaving from Victoria and going back to Gatwick for your flight to Ireland then arrive two hours before your flight time . Arrive at the airport that is. So add on another hour approx. for the journey there. And as you arrive you will get an idea of how long it all takes anyhow.

From your hotel on one day walk towards Buckingham Palace and then down through St James Park to Whitehall and Horse Guards Parade and then on down to Westminster and Big Ben. The Churchill War Rooms are there too.

On another day do The tower of London and St Paul's and then fit in other things as you go.

Kensington Gardens is mainly just open grass and trees so maybe hire a Boris Barclays bike from one of the stands you will see and cycle it and then maybe on further if you choose.

Mentioned in this post
Gatwick Express
Gatwick Express
413 Reviews
London, UK
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Buckingham Palace
Buckingham Palace
22,857 Reviews
London, UK
St. James's Park
St. James's Park
15,101 Reviews
London, UK
Whitehall
Whitehall
201 Reviews
London, UK
Horse Guards Parade at Whitehall
Horse Guards Parade at...
840 Reviews
London, UK
Westminster
Westminster
4,279 Reviews
London, UK
Big Ben
Big Ben
27,932 Reviews
London, UK
Tower of London
Tower of London
52,813 Reviews
London, UK
Kensington Gardens
Kensington Gardens
3,816 Reviews
London, UK
Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
4,105 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

"I think the OP is trying to say "It is £70 round trip". American computer keyboards do not have a symbol to indicate the British pounds monetary unit and a capital letter L was the closest alternative. However I learned I helpful tip years ago - press Alt and 156 and you will get the £ symbol."

You can also just put GBP.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
7,696 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

TravelMamaFL,

i usually get to to the airport approx 2 hours before departure and get situated.

as far as taking the tube. I do that the first thing in the AM so i can get there. Yes, you dont see things up top, but you get a chance to see the tube stations that some were used as bomb shelters during WWII.

also, you will get burned out really fast by walking which you WILL do anyway in the museums and standing in lines. I use the tube to help me see what i want to see and dont see it as a negative side to travel. I enjoy using the tube for that, but there are also Buses up top too.

just so you know that many of the attractions are spread out over london.

good luck and have fun.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

Gotcha...when I moved to the UK with my Australian laptop, I copied and pasted a £ from a website, and saved it in a text file to use when I needed it. I couldn't get past thinking the L was for litres for some reason.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,121 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

The first thing I think of when I see an 'l' or an 'L' is litres! GBP would be better!

FL
Level Contributor
156 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

I am getting 70GPB for both railways for a round trip purchase. Am I not reading something correctly?

Sorry, don't have the symbol on my keyboard and alt156 didn't work either.

Thanks for the weather advice. As long as it's not hot(over 90) or 100percent humidity, I'm good, which is what it currently is in FL

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few more transportation & other questions, leaving soon!

Not sure what dates, times and ages you are putting in but the cheapest adult fare for a trip from Gatwick to London Bridge on a weekday at 0845 and return a few dayslater is £17.

TBH, these are all walk-up fares anyway so there isn't anything to work out in advance. go to the ticket office at Gatwick airport and ask them what the cheapest option to London is (tell them you don't want the Gatwick Express) and they will find the cheapest route and fare. It's that simple.

The only time it's worth researching fares in advance is for "advance" tickets which are cheapest when booked around 12 weeks out - these are not available on this route - so all you have to remember is to tell the booking clerk that you don't want the Gatwick Express.

Mentioned in this post
London Bridge
London Bridge
286 Reviews
London, UK
London
London
England, UK
Gatwick Express
Gatwick Express
413 Reviews
London, UK