We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Greenwich questions

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Topic
Greenwich questions

I will be visiting London in August 2014 with a friend and we want to see Greenwich. We are students and we will stay in St. Pancras area. We plan to buy 7 day 1-2 travel cards and use 241 deals. I have few questions about this day. :)

As far as I see, there is no -by the boat- option to Greenwich from central London that is included in the travel card so what do you think is the best way to get there, not necessarily the quickest.

Is Cutty Shark worth seeing?

Can Greenwich be a half day trip? What would you recommend for the other half?

I know that afternoon tea is just a tourist thing but since we are two girls I thought it would fun, I saw there is affordable afternoon tea in The fan museum (£7 + entrence fee £4, but there is 2 for 1 deal for the entrence fee) so I wonder do you think that's OK, did anyone try it, or does someone have some other recommendation for affordable afternoon tea somewhere else.

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Greenwich questions

The Thames Clipper (ferry) is a pleasant way to travel to Greenwich. You can catch it from Embankment pier, amongst other places. Check their website. Your travelcard can be used to discount the ferry ticket.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,756 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Greenwich questions

<< Is Cutty Shark worth seeing? >>

Yes

<< Can Greenwich be a half day trip? >>

No

<< What would you recommend for the other half? >>

The rest of Greenwich

London
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Greenwich questions

Although the Cutty Sark may be interesting, if you have to choose, I'd prioritise the Maritime museum, and Royal Observatory. None of the Cutty Sark is original.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,671 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Greenwich questions

RGeek. You write nothing about your taste or your preferences. It's very difficult to answer your question.

I find Greenwich irresistible! But that's me. Please write, what is it you are interested in?

If you are into history, science, English culture, Tudors, parks and gardens... Then go to Greenwich, just do your homework before.

Yuri.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Greenwich questions

>>Can Greenwich be a half day trip? What would you recommend for the other half?<<

Greenwich is a whole-day trip as a minimum! You will be very disappointed if you get there having allowed only half a day for it. One can easily spend a day in Greenwich and only see a fraction of what there is to do.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
463 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Greenwich questions

Firstly 90% of the Cutty Sark is origonal so please ignore Neilsolaris. When the fire happened, quite a bit of it was already in storage.

Is it worth seeing? Well, as two girls, I don't know. I know i enjoyed seeing it, especially the underside with all the carvings. But then again, I'd also enjoy afternoon tea. When you get to Greenwich, take a look at the outside and make your decision then. You could easily do it in an hour.

As for the rest of Greenwixh, you really need to take most of the day. Just the Park is worth spending a few hours in. When I go, I walk into the park then take the walkway to the left and visit the Queens House. After I would keep walking in the same direction and then take the next path up to the top of the hill nice and slowly so not to miss anything and enter the Flower Garden. You might even get to see some Deer at the top of the park. They are hidden behind the fence so it might take a bit of luck.

Take as much time as you need, but I wouldn't plan to do much else than just Greenwich for the day.

There are many ways to get there, but on a nice day, the boat can be the best way. You can also get a train from Charring Cross or take the DLR from Tower Gateway. There will be no additional charge for DLR or Train but you'd miss out on a lovely boat ride.

Enjoy.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
3,158 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Greenwich questions

The Thames Clipper and the Cutty Sark, together, make for a rather expensive 1/2 day trip. We did it in May, but we were only in London a short time and not spending money on other attractions. As well, this was our only museum for the particular trip (and we are not museum people), and it had been several years since we had last been out on the Thames in a boat.

Since you are students, and presumably on a budget, I would look for the cheapest way to travel to Greenwich, or perhaps travel one way by boat and the other way by public transport.

As for the Cutty Sark, do have a look at the reviews -

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g186338-d21…

They are perhaps best described as "mixed". We enjoyed Cutty Sark as a piece of restored history. However, others have been disappointed.

Greenwich, itself, is really interesting and makes for a lovely day-trip away from the busyness of London. The Cutty Sark is only one of the attractions and, if you have never been to Greenwich before, I would consider other Greenwich attractions (and also what you might want to see in London) before making a final decision.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,354 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Greenwich questions

Greenwich is great and there are loads of things to do there. Once you get there I'm certain you'll want to spend more than a half day!

Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
948 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Greenwich questions

You can walk under the footbridge at Greenwich and get a great view of the naval college from the other side.

Netanya, Israel
Level Contributor
11,671 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Greenwich questions

BTW, deer mentioned above come from original heard, which means Henry VIII used to hunt it's great great ancestors. Don't forget the Queen Elizabeth's oak. We love the flower park very much. Hopefully, we'll visit it in few weeks time again. After you finish with the park you may take a walk at BlackHeath village. It is in front of the park and it's lovely. From there you can take a bus wherever you want to go.

Yuri.

Edited: 30 June 2014, 22:26