We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon arrival

Twining, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon arrival

We will probably be getting to our hotel at 3:00 pm.m - Crowne Plaza, Kensington after an all night flight. What would be a suggestion for that late afternoon/evening.... Thanks!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,352 Reviews
from US$133.30*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,124 Reviews
from US$142.20*
US$158.00
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
510 Reviews
from US$120.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$355.00*
Illinois
Level Contributor
17,722 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon arrival

Personally, I'd take the tube to the Westminster station and see Parliament from the outside and walk around there, up to St James's Park, and past Buckingham Palace. If the restaurant Inn the Park in St James's Park is open, it might be a nice place to eat.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,199 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon arrival

I agree with taking a walk. I love the walk around Buckinghan Palace, St James Park and walking along The Mall. To Charing Cross and Trafalger Square. Then walk down Whitehall toward the Thames past 10 Downing Street to Westminister Abbey and Big Ben.

Or do in reverse starting a Westminister.

The main thing for me is to be in the fresh air and move until dinner time. And then keep awake to a decent bedtime.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
47,782 posts
1,543 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon arrival

Scrap1Judy,

We usually arrive at about 2:30PM (14:30), so get to our hotel about the same time, as you. We do a nice walk, then dine early (especially by UK/European standards), and retire early too. That always helps get us on GMT/GDT, especially as my wife often has early board meetings the next morning, so jet-lag is just not allowed.

Travel safely, and enjoy,

Hunt

Level Contributor
3,092 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon arrival

We stayed at the same hotel in Nov. when we arrived we had a quick late lunch and then walked around Hyde Park.

Enjoy your trip

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon arrival

"That always helps get us on GMT/GDT ..."

A quick bit of education on time zones for Bill. It's GMT/BST. :-)

GMT - Greenwich Mean Time, a world standard which is (also) the UK's "non daylight savings time".

BST - British Summer Time.

Twining, Michigan
Level Contributor
83 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon arrival

Wondering how you like that hotel?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,408 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon arrival

GMT is also known as Zulu Time (Zero Meridian Time).

Redlands, California
Level Contributor
5,892 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon arrival

I agree with all the advice to get out and walk and stay up until local "bedtime." Going down to Westminster is a great idea--I think its the Bridge St. exit that gives you the "wow!" view of Big Ben. You might also consider stopping in for Evensong service at Westminster Abbey, which is usually at 5 p.m. on weekdays--you can't wander around or sightsee, but there's always lovely music (and don't worry, you're standing and sitting so often that you can't possibly doze off!).

London, United...
Level Contributor
827 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon arrival

I am a born and bred Londoner and can honestly say I have never heard anyone refer to Zulu time, it is certainly not a term in common usage.

10. Re: Afternoon arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2015, 07:15