We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to eat

Uxbridge...
Level Contributor
418 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Places to eat

I have been looking for some eating options but just about all I click on in reviews are too far away from the area we are in. We are staying at the Hilton Tower London (Going to the usual tourist areas the tower, London Eye, Buckingham etc. My daughter is a vegetarian and is happy with a cheese sandwich, I on the other hand like to try new/extravagant/local..well anything unique, (I hate chain restaurants). I wont say money is not an issue, I dont want to spend big money on a fancy place that my daughter would hate anyway.. One of the best meals we had in New York was a recommended street vendor (Something I likely would not have tried with out a recommendation) We both love seafood but live in Boston so are spoiled here. Am I more than fine just walking around and diving into a local pub etc for a bite to eat or am I better off doing a bit of research and look at some options?

Thanks

Level Contributor
3,033 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to eat

You're a short walk from Borough Market, which has great takeaway food plus a bunch of nice restaurants around there, at various price points, including Roast, Fish!, Brindisa (I think that's what it's called) for tapas.

Nearer the hotel you have the usual sandwich places (Eat, Pret, M&S) for snack breakfast or lunch, plus some decent chain restaurants. There's a Strada with a fabulous view right on the river. Not the greatest food ever but that view!

Nearly on Tooley Street you'll find an Indian, a Thai and I think a takeaway Vietnamese place if it's still there.

A word on pubs: some do very good food, some have restaurants - but the main purpose of most pubs is drinking not necessarily eating, particularly in the evenings, so don't assume pubs are the best place to eat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,350 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to eat

If you are Southwark side of the river you might look at the Boot and Flogger in Redcross Street.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
627 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to eat

There are a few places I would recommend not that far from where you will be staying but not within walking distance. All have vegetarian options.

Tokyo Dinner is in China Town and is good but not fancy. http://www.tokyodiner.com

Yming is on Greek Street in Soho, has great Chinese food, and many vegetarian options.

http://www.yming.co.uk

The Cafe in the Crypt at St Martin in the Fields, which is cafeteria style, has vegetarian soups, a vegetarian option and a meat option which change each day. There are also some delicious salads.

stmartin-in-the-fields.org/cafe-in-the-crypt/

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
627 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to eat

Here's a better website to see the menu at Tokyo Diner.

zomato.com/london/…menu

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to eat

If you go to hardens.com and select London then 'map search' you'll get a map with all the reviewed restaurants and exactly where they are.

Uxbridge...
Level Contributor
418 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places to eat

thanks so much to all, I just like to have a list of options ahead of time so I know what is around and this is great... I looked at the first suggestion the Borough Market and found Rabot 1745 sounds like they mix Chocolate with well everything... my daughter will be in heaven haha....

Many other great suggestions, and just what I was hoping for thanks so much.

PS I have been "Americanized" for 20 years, I know what M&S is but "eat" and "Pret" I don't I am sure I will figure it when I am there lol.

Oh PPS... one of the things my daughter is INSISTING on is a quick trip to Harrods I know they have insanely expensive places to eat but do they have a causal "cafe" type place, maybe get a Prawn Cocktail/sandwiches etc that type of thing too?

London, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places to eat

"Pret" is a chain called "Pret a Manger" where you can buy sandwiches, pastries, coffees etc. to take away or eat in. "Eat" is similar but includes soups, pies and so on. If you put either "pret a manger" or "eat restaurants" into google you can find out more including where branches are located in London.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places to eat

Pret, Eat and M&S are all chains which the op says they hate (I think they will spend half their holiday wandering round London looking for non-chains and checking places are not chains. But this is what they want to do. Without a smart phone it will be difficult). They are also all sandwich places. Not sure if you are also looking for evening meal places as well?

Uxbridge...
Level Contributor
418 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places to eat

Akkarin you are 100% right I DID say that but I guess what I meant was I dont want "American chains" that I can get... well anywhere... so to US "Pret and Eat" might be just fine, well for lunch etc and then for dinner something a bit nicer... as I said Rabot 1745 looks like it is close by... and I found some alternatives with other suggestions too, just what I was looking for.

Again, I SAID no chains, yes, I guess I am just used to traveling in US and seeing Applebees, TGI Fridays, Pub 99, McDonalds etc on every corner THAT is what I meant, I need to be more careful on my wording lol :-)

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Places to eat

timeout.com/london/…bermondsey-area-guide

opentable.co.uk/london/tower-hill-restaurants

tripadvisor.co.uk/RestaurantsNear-g186338-d2…