We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Viewing of Stonehenge

Bellevue, Washington
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Private Viewing of Stonehenge

I see Tour Companies advertising "Private Viewings" of stonehenge...are these for real or just BS? How can all these companies have "private" viewings?

I'm eyeing Evan Evans tours...is this worth it?

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

I think what they mean is viewing the stones up close as a small group during non regular visitor hours. I have not known anyone that has done it. I think the regular visitation is fine. I believe you can book this through the regular website and don't have to be part of a tour group but I could be wrong.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

go to avebury instead, the stones there are open at any time, so in summer, you can have as many private viewings as you like :)

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,249 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

Loads of people do this so it's not a solitary experience but you do get up close and personal. Evan Evans are one of several companies that offer this and you can I believe also book direct and make your own way to the stones although that may not be practical for you.

londontoolkit.com/whattodo/stonehenge_specia…

Edited: 01 July 2014, 08:12
anaheim
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

I did the Bath/Lacock/Private Stonehenge tour I found on Viator and while pricey I thought it was worth the money spent. You have a choice between sunrise and sunset viewings and I chose sunset. The rest of the tour was wonderful and interesting, but I really loved going inside the circle at Stonehenge so I could see these stones up close and take some wonderful photos as the sun set. We broke into 2 groups and we're allowed to wander around the stones while the guide gave us some interesting tidbits for about 15 minutes or so which was ample time. When not inside the circle, we could go around the path around the site that most visitors use, but these tours happen outside of normal visiting hours, so it was just our group.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
47 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

Hi-my husband and I did the Bath/Lacock/Stonehenge tour a couple years ago with Premier Tours. It was a very busy day, but in my opinion worth it if you only have a short time in London. My favourite part was getting to go into the stone circle. We too broke up into 2 groups and had ample time to mingle. Once I saw where the general public was allowed to go with the roped area, I was very glad we did the private tour. The coach was super comfortable, the tour guide and bus driver fantastic! We would have like a bit more time in Bath, it was still sufficient to tour the Roman Baths. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to see a few sites in one day.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,450 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

We did the same exact tour with Premier Tours but our included Windsor Castle. Certainly was a long day but we had a great time. Nice this about Premier, maybe others do as well, they picked us up at our hotel. Upon arriving back in London they dropped us at the closest tube station to our hotel. We thought that was cool.

Cheers

sanfrancisco,ca
Level Contributor
2 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

Hello,

You can book this on your own. All this travel agency will charge more. So click following link and book it.

It cost 30 pounds per adult.

english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/…

english-heritage.org.uk/content/imported-doc…

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

It's relative, there are big numbers of visitors to Stonehenge , nearly one and a quarter million people in 2013. The "private" viewings give a chance to visit in a smaller group, at a less crowded time and to get closer to the stones, but don't expect solitude!

Edited: 18 February 2015, 10:54
england
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

the only truly private viewing I'm aware of is when Obama got his helicopter to drop him off there. But the sunrise/sunset tours are small numbers and get closer to the stones.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Private Viewing of Stonehenge

Guys, this is an old thread that got pushed up by a so far one-post-wonder.