We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

El Cerrito...
4 posts
Save Topic
Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

My husband and I will be visiting London at the end of the second week of August, and I've been completely unable to decide where to stay... too many options! My ideal place would be in a quiet area, very near Tube access, hotel with a twin/king option (husband snores and would like separate sleep spots just in case) or a VRBO/AirBnB place with one+ beds. Of course, I'm looking for all that and more at not-outrageous prices (though willing to pay for the right place). I've been looking mostly in the Kensington area. Is there anything farther afield that would have the above, plus a quaint village feel that I may not have heard of?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,459 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

" Of course, I'm looking for all that and more at not-outrageous prices (though willing to pay for the right place) "

Could you perhaps give an indication as to your parameters ?

Edited: 02 July 2014, 08:52
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,040 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

What's wrong with the places you have been finding so far?

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

You need to book ASAP because most affordable options book first. Unless you book an apartment the chances of getting a suite with separate rooms is almost impossible. Post your exact dates and budget in pounds sterling per night and any other requirements. Best to bring earplugs if you hubby starts snoring. If you are in the city and not used to city noises then earplugs might be needed anyway.

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,575 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

London is a capital city - quaint (whatever that is) will be hard to find.

Please and thank you would be nice too.

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

" quaint (whatever that is)"

A word we don't use at all.

Porto Alegre, RS
Level Contributor
97 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

Hey,

You won't find anything with village feel anywhere near London.. It is a vibrant city...

I'd recommend something like Sussex Gardens for you. That area has loads of tube lines walking distance plus the near by park.

I've rented with the people from LondonVilla and also with Magic Rentals at previous times and both offered great places with a decent price.

London Villa got me a flat with 2 bedrooms last june and I guess this would be perfect for you and your snoring hubby.. ;)

Edited: 02 July 2014, 15:18
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
36,980 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

You won't find anything with village feel anywhere near London.. won't you?

How about Richmond, Putney, Kingston, Surbiton....we used to live in Hampton Hill, that was rather nice

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,604 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

hampstead, st.johns wood high street and marylebone high street have villages feels to them but they are expensive area's because of this.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

KPow64,

I havent had any issues with quite or easy access to a tube station.

i usually stay near Victoria Station. My last time was near Kings Cross in a dorm room on the street side. Only had a minute of heavy construction equipment moving around 2200 that night, but that was it. after that all was quite.

as far as your husbands snoring, can't to anything for that other than to have you seek medical help, take a 2x4 to him, or get some ear plugs.

what you can do too, is that once you get an idea on several areas to stay, use google maps. GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!. Plug n chug the address. go to street level and see whats the google camera car captured about that area. If you see a highway in front of the lodging, it may not be so quite. If it looks "residential" then it could be a good bet. When i looked at the dorm room i stayed near Kings Cross, there wasn't any construction shown. Just so you know, google maps and the street view can be months/years old. the maps/street view only capture that moment in time.

El Cerrito...
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help! Completely overwhelmed by London lodging options!

Sure, looking from $175 to $250. This broad price range is part of what's making it hard for me to decide. I believe I've narrowed it down to the Kensington/South Kensington area, even into Fulham.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 19:07