We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

King's Cross to Paddington

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
5 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
King's Cross to Paddington

I arrive via train at King's Cross at 12:43. I depart from Paddington at 14:00. What is the best way to travel between the two stations? I will have a large suitcase. Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
315 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: King's Cross to Paddington

The 205 bus

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,391 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: King's Cross to Paddington

I would opt for the 205 as well. Stop R is about a minute's walk from the arrivals area at King's Cross https:/…kings-cross-a4-121013.pdf The bus calls at stop F in Praed Street, almost directly across the street from a ramp which leads straight down to the rail station concourse: https:/…paddington.pdf

Oxfordshire
Level Contributor
2,604 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: King's Cross to Paddington

You haven't got that much time (though you're going to make it) , and stop R is a nasty and congested walk across a couple of busy roads (which, believe me, is going to feel a lot longer than a minute, and longer still with a big bag) away from the arrival platform. Depending on whether you've been to London before and still have a valid Oyster, you're also likely to have to handle the complication of getting onto the bus, since cash will no longer be accepted.

In your case I'd get the lift down to the tube station, get a westbound Circle or Hammersmith and City tube to Paddington, then get the lift up to the Tube concourse, and navigate your way to the lift down to the railway concourse. At both ends, the lift can be tricky to find, but you'll get detailed instructions and maps for both stations at the nationalrail.co.uk site, by going to "stations", then selecting the two.

The easiest way of paying for the tube, if you've not got a London pass of some sort, is to book a train ticket from (let's say) Peterborough to Oxford "via London", which will give you Tube travel. The next alternative is to buy a Zone 1 tube ticket from a machine or manned ticket office in the KX tube concourse.

There are circs in which buses make sense between KX and Paddington. Westbound, with heavy luggage and no card, isn't one of them.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 06:59
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,465 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: King's Cross to Paddington

Where are you going from Paddington?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
27,994 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: King's Cross to Paddington

I'd take the tube. As Flanneruk says take a westbound Hammersmith & City or Circle line train posted as Hammersmith. On arrival there's a lift up to the ticket hall, and then two routes to the mainline station. Route A is to walk past the taxi rank and take either an escalator or lift down to the station beside platform 12. Route B has you turning right at the taxi rank and taking the ramp down to the Heathrow Express platform and accessing the concourse from there (no barriers).

From 6 July the buses won't accept cash fares. So unless you have a contact less (RFID) credit card or Oyster you'll be stuck.

And, if your final destination happens to be Heathrow, don't go to Paddington. Take the tube's Piccadilly line direct to Heathrow from Kings Cross.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 07:09
Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: King's Cross to Paddington

This is where I would happily invest £10-15 for a cab ride to Paddington and arrive unperspiring and with arms the same length as when I arrived at Kings X.

7. Re: King's Cross to Paddington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:16