We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

I am arriving at Heathrow airport with my husband and 2 children 11 and 12 years on 27 July at 11:15 pm. Giving ourselves 45 minutes for exiting the airport, it will be around 12 am. We don't have large bags, just carry on trolly bags of small sizes. I wonder about the cheapest and the safest method of getting to the hotel in Cromwell road (Cromwell crown). I know that on Piccadilly line the Gloucester road underground station is very close, the hotel is about 5 minutes walk from it.

my questions are:

1- When does the last underground on Piccadilly line departure from the airport, I mean it will be 12 am is there a metro at this time ?

2- Is it safe to walk with the children and the trolly bags from the Gloucester station about 5 minutes to get to the hotel which is on the Cromwell road itself.

3- Can I take the Piccadilly line (if there is a train at this hour) then take a taxi to avoid walking (if not safe). How could this be done I mean is it possible to take a taxi from the street just like that at this late hour ?

4- Is there an alternate cheap option to this ?

thanks a lot.

London
Level Contributor
9,568 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

Perhaps double check your flight times. A scheduled arrival after 2300 is unusual (but not impossible) at LHR.

Last tube from Heathrow on a Sunday is about 2300. If you really are arriving at 2315, you have no chance of catching a tube.

"Gloucester station" is a long long way from London. It's in the city of Gloucester. It's really important that you don't truncate location names in the UK - you can cause no end of confusion. The station you were referring to is "Gloucester Road", and you need to use the full name.

Pre booked car service seems like your best option for this journey. Search the London forum for recommendations. You could also get a taxi off the rank - but that will cost considerably more.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,243 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

The Piccadilly line is not stopping at Gloucester Rd till December anyway so you would have to get out at Earls Court and walk or change there to Circle/District line, even if the last tube hadn't gone.

With children and quite late after a longish flight I'd go for a car service. Try Blackberry, Exclusive, Just or Simply airports which get consistently positive feedback from reliable posters on here. Should be around £40 for your party size as you will need an estate or MPV.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

thanks first

i am coming on Alitalia and I checked the time it is 23:05

so

nothing goes from the airport at that time except Taxis ?

correct ?

the other frustrating news is that Piccadilly line will not stop at Gloucester road because I was relying on that stop for my 3 days stay in London to walk around the city because it is very close to the hotel

I may change the hotel for this bad news but it is too late I think.

Corringham, United...
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

The other thing to consider is that though your landing time is 2305 by the time it berths etc doors open it can take 10/15 mins to get to Immigration

There may/may not be any queues there but its no guarantee that you will be out in the 45 mins.

I have known quicker at that time of night but also longer,depends on the Immigration line.

Seems to me that a pre-booked car is the best option in case of any delays

Even the fast trian the Heathrow express is a bit tight as last train leaves LHR 2348

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,960 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

>>> nothing goes from the airport at that time except Taxis ? <<<

There are a few 24-hour and Night Bus routes including the N9 which will take you to High Street Kensington. Board outside Terminal 5 or at Central Bus Station (linked by walkway to Terminals 1, 2 and 3). Departures every 20 minutes from 23.35 (T5) or 23.45 (CBS), journey time 1 hour.

You will need an Oyster Card as cash fares are not available on buses.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,235 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

www.expressways.co.uk/

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
66 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

thanks a lot for your help

here are some important questions if you could help me :

1- N9 is 24 hours ? I mean it will work all the night ? I mean at 1:00 am for example

2- How much approximately the taxi will take if I take a taxi ( I mean fees)?

3- are there any undergrounds lines still working in Gloucester road than Piccadilly line which I found very useful in my last trip to London?

thanks again

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

1. The N9 runs every 20 minutes all night

2. Don't understand what you mean by 'fees' - a prebooked car will have a cheaper fare than one picked up off the rank - perhaps half the price

3 The District/Circle Line at Gloucester Road is still operational - it's only the (deep level) Piccadilly line where the platforms are out of use.

Whichever way you choose will be safe. London really doesn't have child snatchers roaming the streets at all hours or even any hours.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 12:09
9. Re: From Heathrow airport to Cromwell Rd at 12 am

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 05:17