We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips... Where to?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips... Where to?

Hi there.

I'm going to be traveling to England end of Sept. I will be staying with friends in Essex (Chelmsford). I'm planning to make as many trips to London as possible during my stay. Where else is worth making a day trip to? I'd love to see the likes of Oxford and Cambridge.

I'm looking for suggestions that would be enjoyable and suitable for me (late twenties) interests such as theatre, architecture, coffee culture, parks, markets, and general 'people watching'

I enjoy doing non touristy things. Basically just soaking up the essence of a place.

My friend has a car so I'd like to suggest some places, contribute ideas and not just arrive and expect to be entertained/guided.

Places that are max 3hrs drive. Or easily accessible via train.

So.... Suggest away.

Many thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
27,984 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips... Where to?

Well, in your duplicate thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186278-i1232-k7…

We already HAVE "suggested away" so what other ideas do YOU have for things you want to see/do?

Also, in yet another thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…58538059

You intimate that you will stay in London also....

Rutland, UK
Level Contributor
5,803 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips... Where to?

Cambridge will be much more accessible for you than Oxford; I don't recommend you do both.

A trip to my neck of the woods is my (biased) recommendation.

Stamford: a gorgeous stone built town and take lunch or afternoon tea in the George.

Burghley House on the doorstep of Stamford. Arguably the finest Elizabethan house in England. Semi tame deer, a great sculpture garden, and a 'surprise' water garden.

Uppingham: bookshops, antique shops, tea rooms, charming market square, famous public school - quintessential England.

Rutland Water: one of the largest reservoirs in Northern Europe. Lake cruises, ospreys, cycle hire

Eyebrook Reservoir. Much less well known than RW and the tranquility adds to its charm.

Stoke Dry. Lovely hamlet overlooking the Eyebrook. It's said, without much foundation, that the gunpowder plot was hatched in the church. Well worth visiting to see the pre-columban wall paintings of Native American Indians. Very odd.

Rockingham Castle. A castle that actually looks quite like one. Strong links with Charles Dickens. Often hosts jousting tournaments etc.

Cotswolds-esque villages (built from the same oolitic limestone.) Some favourites are Lyddington (visit the church and the Bede House), Wing (look for the medieval turf maze), Lyndon, Exton (visit the nearby Barnsdale Gardens), Preston (not to be confused with the one in Lancashire, altogether different), Hambleton (Hambleton Hall is one of the finest restaurants in the Midlands), Ayston.

You'd need two or three days to see all this. If you wanted to stay overnight I'd recommend the Lake Isle or the Falcon in Uppingham.

Rutland is sometimes called the undiscovered Cotswolds. What we don't have are the publicity-seeking celebrity residents. I hope you consider putting Rutland on your agenda.

3. Re: Day trips... Where to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 23:35
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips... Where to?

Thanks for the response.

PC problems... I wasn't aware I had any responses on my prior post.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
48 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips... Where to?

Thanks for the response.

Much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,217 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips... Where to?

Saffron Walden and Audley End House nearby

Rochester and then on to Canterbury

London
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips... Where to?

I grew up in Chelmsford, many years ago! Places close by to visit I recommend are Colchester, "Constable Country" (I think the place is Levenham), Thaxted. In Chelmsford there is a museum you might like to see. There's plenty more, so I'll post again when more things spring to mind.

8. Re: Day trips... Where to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 July 2015, 06:16