We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

I will be leaving soon for a trip to London with my two teenage children (18 &15). We will only have 4 days to see the sights, so we will try and focus on seeing as much as we can in that short time. I was thinking about buying single fare tickets when we land in Heathrow on the underground to take us to our hotel near Bank & Monument stations. I would like to take advantage of the NR Travel Card 2 4 1 deals for the Tower of London and possibly the City Cruise. We will be leaving London on day 5 from Bank Street DLR to London City Airport. Other than London City Airport, I don't expect we will be travelling out of zones 1-2.

Cost wise, Is the NR travel card the way to go or would we be better off buying the Oyster Visitor Card? I am also under the impression that if I buy the NR 7 Day Travel Card, we will need to bring passport size photos with us for the card?

Appreciate any advice as I am still not sure what our best options are.

Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,642 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

Visitor Oyster cards are no bargain, unless you very much want to pay £9 for three credit card size bits of plastic.

If you would like to use the two for one offers then you have two choices. You may alight from the Underground at Blackfriars and buy paper NR Travelcards from the rail ticket office there and use them to continue your journey (take the number 15 bus from Ludgate Circus to (guesses) the Premier Inn Monument - alight at the stop for Monument station, about two minutes' walk from the hotel.

Alternately you may take the Underground to Monument for the hotel then buy the necessary paper Travelcards at Cannon Street station, less than 10 minutes' walk from Monument.

Even if you use the NR paper Travelcards (and you will need passport size, not necessarily quality pictures for each person in your party for the free Photocards that will be made at the rail ticket office) for one or two sights you will have saved pounds.

'We will be leaving London on day 5 from Bank Street DLR to London City Airport.' It's a bit of a trek from the ticket hall to the DLR departure platforms at Monument / Bank (not Street, just Bank), with stairs and two escalators down and walks on the flat of about 175m. Ensure you board a train towards Woolwich Arsenal for the journey to LCY.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,047 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

Travelcards are your best bet here, IMHO.

Please note that the Tower of London will be offline for the 2-4-1 deals as of July 15, so when you say soon, I hope it is in time to take advantage of the offer.

Only a few attractions--like the Tower of London and the London Eye withdraw in the summer months.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

Thank you both for your advice. We plan on taking advantage of the 2 4 1 Tower of London deal on the 14th, so I think we will be ok. Now, off to get our passport photos for our Travel Card!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
228 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

Thank you both for your advice. We plan on taking advantage of the 2 4 1 Tower of London deal on the 14th, so I think we will be ok. Now, off to get our passport photos for our Travel Card!

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
333 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

We just made color copies of our passports, then cut out the photos. We had no problems using these for the Travelcards.

Boston...
Level Contributor
912 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

Slightly off-topic question...it appears there is no reason to purchase a Visitor's Oyster Card vs a standard one (of which I have two). Am I correct?

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
498 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

Yes, in every way they're inferior to standard Oyster cards

8. Re: National Rail 7 Day Travel Card vs. Oyster Visitor Card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 20:17