We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

School Trip Ideas Please

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
325 posts
375 reviews
Save Topic
School Trip Ideas Please

I thinking of taking a small (5-10) group of visually impaired children (aged 12-17) to London for a 4 day trip. I've have some things I'd like to do but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions to fill the gaps

So far I've got

Day 1 Arrive lunchtime - Activity needed for afternoon/evening

Day 2 Tower of london, Dinner in Dans le Noir

Day 3 Speed Boat on thames, sightseeing around the City/Westminster, Rainforest Cafe, Theatre (Charlie and the Chocolate factory?)

Day 4 Shopping, Lunch somewhere special, train home

Does anyone have a suggestion for the first afternoon or the special lunch. I'd like to take them somewhere with a wow factor as a lot of the children will never have been anywhere special to eat.

My planning is very early stages so I'm open to suggestions. I've ruled out the London Eye, Cable car, zoo, art galleries and aquarium because of the children's visual impairment and I think there are better options for them. But anything where they can touch, listen, experience is fair game.

Thanks for any ideas you can give me

London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

How about somewhere like the Science Museum? They have lots of interactive exhibitions, i'm sure if your ring them up they could advise you on how suitable it would be.

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
325 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

Thanks, it did cross my mind but I was thinking of cultural things (Things that can only be done in London) that said I loved my visit to the natural history and science museums when I went on a school trip. I'll have a scout round and see what they can offer. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,239 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

The major museums and galleries will have an education team and there will be someone with a brief for special needs. I would contact them and ask what they can offer- maybe an opportunity to explore sculpture with their hands etc.

Londinium born and...
Level Contributor
4,225 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

You could try calling the Museum Of London and asking what help is available for partially sighted children there. They might allow you to have a supervised 'tactile' visit?

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,834 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

This was from a quick look on the Web under "museum tours for visually impaired London":

https:/…visually_impaired_visitors.aspx

http://www.vocaleyes.co.uk/page.asp?section=89&sectionTitle=Museums+Galleries+and+Heritage+Sites

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/visit-us/access-guide/

rnib.org.uk/information-everyday-living-home…

Have fun.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

Hmm. What would count as a special lunch? What budget do you have for it?

London, England
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
9,821 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

Here is an earlier thread about a visually impaired adult, but there may be some cross-over as it talks of adjustments museums make for visually impaired visitors:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k428…

See also this:

https:/…visually_impaired_visitors.aspx

and this:

…museumoflondon.org.uk/how-we-make-londons-h…

These turned up when I Googled "Museum of London-visually impaired"

Edited: 08 July 2014, 12:12
Northamptonshire...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

How about lunch at the rainforest café? It would be great fun to have lunch while sensing you are in the rainforest for you and the kids!

I am having similar issues trying to find ideas of things to do in London with the young man I work for who is blind and in a wheelchair!

Edited: 31 July 2014, 09:54
London
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

You're a hero for doing this - I hope you'll be getting some assistance.

Difficult to know what to suggest for teenagers - I was going to say a petting zoo or urban farm but you've got them at home and they are probably too old for that anyway.

For a uniquely London experience, perhaps a stop off at Trafalgar Square for the fountains and the huge lions, and then a stroll down to Big Ben for when it chimes the hour. Do they have double decker buses in Chorley or are they all single-decker? Perhaps something could be arranged with that.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
476 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: School Trip Ideas Please

As others have said museums can probably help you out. In particular the V&A has interactive exhibits in each section as I recall. I believe one of them had items to touch and see if you could figure them out. Also, though not exclusive to London, St Martins in the Fields has brass rubbings in the basement and frequent concerts which would engage senses beyond sight.