We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay and what to see in london for 24 hours

Charlotte, North...
1 post
Save Topic
where to stay and what to see in london for 24 hours

my husband and i will be in london for 24 hours. arrive gatwick 2:30 leaving heathrow 2:30... hotel budget around 500 us. what should we do and where should we stay? what do you think of the red bus tour? ... any help greatly appreciated.

East Midlands
Destination Expert
for Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
2,851 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay and what to see in london for 24 hours

You do realise that you don't actually have 24 hours? Wheels down at 14.30 at Gatwick, landside with luggage approx 60-90 minutes later. Travel into London (the accomodation advice will almost certainly be "stay somehwere relatively central), travel to Hotel. So, now, it's somewhere approaching ... at a guess .. 17.00 (5pm). (perhaps earlier and probably not later)

The following day, you would normally need to be at Heathrow approx 2½ - 3 hours before your scheduled departure. So you need to be there for, let's say, 11.45am. It takes approx 60 mins via tube (I think) from Central London to Heathrow and you'll need to get to the correct Tube station to start your journey so let's assume you start heading to Heathrow at about 10.30 ish.

So your available time is probably between 17.00 and 10.30 less time for meals and sleep.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 15:48
London, United...
Level Contributor
611 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay and what to see in london for 24 hours

Given your schedule I think this might work:

Go from Gatwick to Victoria and stay at a hotel near the station. I think the Grosvenor will suit your budget.

Spend the first evening exploring central London eg Picadilly, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, etc. these places all open late so you should be able to see plenty. Depending on your energy level you could check out Southbank (London Eye) and Westminster as well. Victoria has good tube and bus connections.

In the morning get on one if the open top bus tours. I can recall one, The Original Tour, which starts early at 8:30 from Victoria Station. The tour lasts about 2 hours and you will not have time to get off but you will at see the major sites and make it back by around 10:30. This will give you just enough time to check out and get to the airport by 12:00. Taking a taxi from Victoria is an option or you go to Paddington by taxi and get the Heathrow Express.

It's not an ideal way to see London but I'm sure can make up for it during a later visit.

3. Re: where to stay and what to see in london for 24 hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2015, 21:16