We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

Hi,

I'm visiting Norwich for the first time and was wondering the best way by train and prices, also is it more affordable to book your ticket in advance on thetrainline.com or is it the same at the Heathrow airport?

First time in Heathrow as well.

I understand that I have to take the train from Heathrow to Liverpool Street first and then from Liverpool Street to Norwich. BUT if I buy a ticket Heathrow to Norwich, what happens if I miss any train, can I still be calm and use the ticket? I need out and return tickets. Would kindly appreciate any kind of help and advice from you.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,009 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

I am thinking a National Express coach might be a more sensible idea. Door to door thus avoiding the hassle of getting through central London with the resultant risk of hold ups.

The downside is that there are only departures every two hours. Fares start at £25 one way.

Having said that I see there are trains from Liverpool Street for £9 if booked in advance. You will have to add on the cost of the tube to Liverpool, a journey that will take about 75 minutes. Don't book through The Trainline - they add on all kinds of extras. Better to book Liverpool Street to Norwich with National Rail and buy your tube ticket at the airport. These cheaper tickets are not transferable so allow plenty of time and be aware you will have to pay the walk up price should you miss your nominated train.

If you let us know more then we can possibly advise further. Date of travel, time the plane lands and arrival terminal would help.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,328 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

1) Don't book on thetrainline - they charge for booking

2) Book from Liverpool Street to Norwich as you can't collect tickets at Heathrow and in any case you'll be invariably routed onto the EXPENSIVE Heathrow Express rather than the cheaper Tube service

3) If you buy an Advance ticket then, like cheap plane tickets, you have to buy a new one. Off peak & Peak tickets don't have those restrictions but are more expensive.

4) Rather than flying to Heathrow, you can fly to Norwich via Amsterdam which cuts out all the worries and means you don't have to haul your luggage across 30 miles of London or worry about missing trains

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

Date of travel: 16 July at 20.00, leaving 21 July at 19.30. Thanks.

4. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 20:07
Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,675 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

What is '20.00'. Ie. is it the time your plane lands at Heathrow, the time you estimate you will be through immigration and down to the underground or the time you estimate you will be at Liverpool Street?

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

20.00 = 08.00 p.m

7. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 20:31
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
51,123 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

The question as, is that the time the aircraft is due to land, or your estimate of when you will get through all of the formalities and be ready to head off to Norwich?

Ah, I see, our posts crossed! It may well take an hour for you to get through immigration and bag retrieval.

Edited: 07 July 2014, 20:23
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

Traveling with a cabin baggage.

8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable tickets from Heathrow to Norwich by train?

How long is it from Heathrow airport to Liverpool Street?