We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

GTA
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

Will be flying out of London Gatwick from Holiday Inn at Old street (EC1V) for 4 people with 4 luggage and 4 hand-carry in August.

Wondering which shuttle company is reliable and good! Read too many sad experience here.

Thanks in advance

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

Shuttles don't really exist in the UK and Europe, we don't need them as our Airports are mostly well connected by public transport. Gatwick Airport has up to sixteen trains an hour from Central London, including four an hour direct from Farringdon, City Thameslink, Blackfriars and London Bridge, which which are all easily reachable from Old Street by taxi. Note that weekend travel is sometimes disrupted by engineering work, if you let us know the date we can check for you.

The alternative would be a car service (car+driver) for your exclusive use, I am sure there will be others who will be along with recommendations (I never use them myself). However I would point out that the roads to Gatwick are slow and congested, and the journey can be tedious.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,955 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

Best suggestion is don't do it and take the train.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,064 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

Get the tube (direct on the Northern line) or cab to London Bridge and First Capital Connect train to Gatwick.

If you can give an exact date/time, timetables can be checked or you can look yourself on the FCC site:

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/

GTA
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

Thanks for the reply.

We will be flying out on Monday morning... Need to get to Airport by 10am.

The only concern I have about taking public transit is to fight with the crowd during rush hours!

And we have luggage to carry!

TIA

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,955 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

The 'crowd during rush hour' will be going into London and you are going in the opposite direction. Take a taxi rather than the underground to one of the stations that the FCC train to Gatwick calls at (Blackfriars or London Bridge probably best) if you are concerned by that part, but road is a much worse way to get to Gatwick.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

We'll the crowds on the roads will be 10x worse I wouldn't even think of taking a car at that time and the commuters will all be headed into London not out of. So the only crowded bit will be getting to the railway station.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
7,955 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

Although if you are actually flying on 'Monday morning' probably best to aim to be there earlier than 10am...

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

it is not a nice journey by car -to arrive at the airport by 10 am (I presume for a 1 pm flight ? ) you would need to be picked up by 8am

I use www.simplyairports.co.uk but there are loads of car service companies

if you are young and fit the train is a better option

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
56,354 posts
453 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

If the luggage will be a concern then the only realistic alternative is a private car transfer. Shuttles don't really exist here.

But one big bag and one carry on doesn't sound too bad. I'd get a cab to one of the stations wirewiper mentions and then it's a direct shot through to the airport, where there will be lifts up to the terminal level. There shouldn't be much luggage carrying overall in that, especially if you choose one of the smaller stations such as Farringdon to start your train journey.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,658 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need suggestion for shuttle from EC1V to Gatwick Airport

My suggestion then would be taxi to Blackfriars. The taxi can stop close to the station and there is lift access to the platform from where the Gatwick trains depart from.

Also you will be travelling against the peak flow, so the trains will not be heavily loaded when they get to Blackfriars.