We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying online train ticket

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
buying online train ticket

I know this has been discussed before, but we are trying to buy train tickets to Bath on line through First Great Western. We registered our postcode with our London Hotel address then put in the billing address as our USA address. We know we need to click on "Fast ticket machine" to pick the tickets up at the train station, but we cannot find anywhere to click on that, so it will not let us purchase the tickets. Any suggestions?

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,231 reviews
from US$124.70*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
436 reviews
from US$103.70*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,066 reviews
from US$147.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
624 reviews
from US$99.50*
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying online train ticket

The collect tickets at station option seems to be unavailable at the FGW website right now. Hm.

However, you may book tickets elsewhere and choose Tickets on Departure. I've just made a dummy booking at www.eastcoast.co.uk for tickets from London Paddington to Bath Spa, and the first option at the Delivery Details page is Tickets on Departure at the station.

You will need to nominate a station, but once in London you may use any station that has FastTicket / TOD ticket machines to collect your tickets, as long as you have the confirmation number and credit card used for payment.

You won't need to register at the EastCoast website using your UK hotel address, your home address will do nicely.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying online train ticket

Thank you, we will try that.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
95 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying online train ticket

TravellerPlus, thank you so much, that site was so much easier. We booked the tickets with no problem.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,564 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying online train ticket

Well done, and thanks for letting us know.

I don't know what's going on at the FGW website; I made dummy bookings both signed in with my account and not signed in, and neither time was I offered the collect at station ticket option. Odd, that.

5. Re: buying online train ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 00:16