We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap Food

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap Food

Ive been researching and despite people telling me its cheap too eat in London, I disagree going by prices on Menu's ive looked up. 20 pound for a burger and cheaps is $30 Australian dollars. That's ridiculous, I could get a 3 course meal at a very nice restaurant here for almost same price. Im not a big eater so im thinking I may eat starters if I go too a pub too eat (if I can with the meal I desire) But also thinking im going too have too either hit a supermarket when I want too eat lunch etc or look for something cheap and nasty like a piece of fried fish/fast food/hotdog etc. Am I correct in my thinking? I have 100pound a day too spend and I really want too use that for alcohol and the odd souvenir etc.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap Food

Sorry, that's $37 AUD!

Ottawa, Ontario
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap Food

Try pub food at Weatherspoons, they have different specials every day.

There is also the Stockpot on Compton St or the West End Kitchen on Panton street just off of Leicester Square.

I've also been to Australia and maybe Adelaide is cheap, but the rest of the country is bloody expensive. I was shocked in Melbourne at the cost of a pint.

You really have to remember you are going to the most popular city in the world for tourism, so prices are going to reflect that.

Depending on where you are staying, there will more than likely be a Tescos near by.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,368 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap Food

Wow I don't know what plces you've been researching but a quick scan shows burgers at different pubs run between 10.95 and 15.95..

Cheers

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap Food

Yeh Melbourne is like London in regards too price now you mention it. A city I would not live in due too prices. I was over estimating but 15 pounds is the average price im seeing. Im staying in the Bayswater area, ive found PRET so ill visit them, cant see prices on website but ppl tell me its cheap. Weatherspoons ill look up now, haven't seen before. Normal pub food at cheaper prices?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap Food

For Pret and Weatherspoons. Whats the average price for a mediumish sized meal? Like a burger no chips or sandwich etc? No prices online

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap Food

Sorry for the spam, last question. I cannot seem too get the locator too work, is there one near Paddington station Area?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
794 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap Food

The ave price on a recent trip for me was Pub meals £7 - £12, (Burger/chips or salad £6.95) Sunday Roast with all the trimmings £8.95, Chinese £6 - £10, Desserts £2.95, Sandwiches as low as £1.50.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap Food

You can find a wide range of prices for food. And the prices may not always reflect the quality. Good food can be found at good prices. Supermarket sandwiches are great for lunch. We do that a lot. Use open table to book dinner and tons of places have specials that include fixed price menus and half price meals if you book through them.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap Food

Thanks for the prices! Are these prices based on an average of everywhere you went or just JD weatherspoons? Ill check then open table out as well thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,668 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap Food

Pret is probably the most expensive sandwich shop in London and certainly not the best.