We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FCC from Gatwick to London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
FCC from Gatwick to London

Hi there, I'm a little confused on using the First Capital Connect train from Gatwick airport to London. I know its main stops are Blackfriars, London Bridge, St Pancras, etc. which I guess is fine for us(3 adults) to get to the tube to our final destination (Shepherds Bush area) But then, I can see that they also have a train route that arrives at Victoria station (non-stop LGW-Victoria ~30 minutes) which would be a shorter journey for us on the tube to our hotel. Is this FCC or another type of train/company?? How come it shows up on its 'Search Destination' on their website?? It also offers us £29 for return 3 adults all inclusive. Help!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

There are three operators between London and Gatwick - Southern, Gatwick Express, and First Capital Connect. Gatwick Express sets the "any operator" fare, but another operator on the same route is allowed to set a lower fare for use on their services only. GEX is a rip-off; if you're going to Victoria it's a lot cheaper to take a Southern train which takes just a few minutes longer. FCC is the absolute cheapest but you are restricted to their trains.

My advice - buy an FCC One-Day Travelcard; take an FCC train to East Croydon, change for a Southern train to Clapham Junction, then take the Overground from platform 1 to Shepherd's Bush. You'll avoid central London entirely and not have to deal with the Tube.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

I would agree with the above IF you need the London travelcard for the rest of that day, it's £13.50 for the FCC card. Although I would personally pay £3 more per ticket for the more comfortable Southern train service and you can then go directly to Clapham Junction and skip the (usually easy) change at East Croydon. Both of these prices are off-peak, so after 9:30am weekdays or all day at weekends.

If you don't need the travelcard for your first day, simply purchase a single ticket to Shepherd's Bush, which is £11.80 anytime for the not via London (which Clapham Junction is not, being in zone 2) route. None of these fares are eligible for Gatwick Express although I wouldn't recommend this train anyway since you shouldn't go to Victoria for your route.

Note that with three of you, you should be eligible for GroupSave fares. So you would save a third on the prices quoted above. Make sure to ask for it when you buy your tickets, you would have to go to the ticket window or purchase in advance. But you must always travel together, the fare becomes invalid if you travel anywhere separately.

Edited: 12 July 2014, 10:32
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

The price (£29) I mentioned in the OP was the quote for off-peak and any day (within one month) return for 3 adults total, it's the Group save discount. I don't see any mention of changing at East Croydon or anything, just direct Gatwick to Victoria for approx. 30 minutes journey. Our plan is to take the tube (& buy the Oyster Card) in Victoria via District line to either Hammersmith or Shepherds bush where our hotel is located. Ami I missing something as I found the mention of Clapham etc and transfers confusing???

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,236 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

The default setting is for the quickest route which in your case is the expensive Gatwick Express. If your hotel is nearer Hammersmith and you want to get Oyster Cards for your time in London then you could take the Southern train to Victoria and then the District line to Hammersmith. The walk up return fare for three people is £59.40 total and you don't need to purchase tickets in advance.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

So the fares from the First Capital connect website that I'm seeing is for the Gatwick Express??? How come?! I thought they were a separate company.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

If you are headed to Shepherds Bush, the most direct route from Gatwick is to get a Southern train to Clapham Junction, where you change to the London Overground to Shepherds Bush. You wouldn't go to London Bridge, Blackfriars or even Victoria at all.

Any train going to Victoria in 30 minutes isn't FCC at all but Gatwick Express. FCC will happily sell tickets for it, as will any rail website.

I've been unable to replicate your £29 fare. What it is - pass

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,236 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

FCC do not run trains on that route but their website is linked to the national database and therefore comes up with what you are seeing.

If your accommodation is nearer to Shepherds Bush then follow the route described by dzug and change at Clapham Junction. If you are closer to Hammersmith then the route I described in reply #4 might be slightly quicker and will allow you to get Oyster cards on your way to your accommodation.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

Oh okay I kinda get it now. And sorry, my bad the £29 was one-way only so you're correct about the walk up fare of £59.40 for the three of us. Any suggestions for a better (relatively cheaper or faster way) from Gatwick to either Hammersmith or Shepherds Bush station? Thanks for all the help.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,236 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

Those are the two best ways. As we have said the GEX is fractionally quicker than the Southern service but is not good value.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: FCC from Gatwick to London

Thanks! So I tried to look at the fare for the Southern Railways journey from Gatwick to Clapham junction without changes and with the Groupsave discount, it's £44.40 return total. My question is, do we need another ticket for the overground train to Shepherds Bush? Can we buy an Oyster Card at the station there? (I assume it's separate from the Shepherds Bush tube?) And would the fare above be the same as the walk up fare, as long as we mention Groupsave with the person at the window? Really appreciate the help :-)

Edited: 13 July 2014, 08:36