We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 week trip to Europe.

Fresno, California
2 posts
Save Topic
1 week trip to Europe.

I am flying into London. I will be there one day/night. Then I plan to take a train into Paris and spend the day there. Then I need to get into Bremen, Germany by train. I have zero idea how to do any of this. So all advice would be welcome. I am a 46 year old woman who is traveling with my father. I definitely know he doesn't have any idea how to travel like this. This is my first trip out of the country since I was 10. Help???

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
97 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

Is there a reason you have to fly into london, if not I would fly direct to Germany and spend your entire week there. Jet lag will leave you disoriented on the day of arrival and moving from one city to another in the course of a day or two is very taxing even on the very young traveler. If you must do it this way, you should book Eurostar to Paris, the sooner you book the better the prices, and then from Paris to Germany you will need to book train travel. The website seat61.com is very helpful in booking train travel.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,614 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

If your time away will be seven days you will spend a great deal of your journey at airports and rail stations. Eurostar from London St Pancras to Paris Gare du Nord takes just two and a quarter hours, but unless you have a pressing need to go to Paris then consider flying from London Heathrow to Hamburg and taking the train to Bremen. If you must visit Paris then consider flying from Paris CDG and then taking a train to Bremen.

Please let us know your specific dates of travel and whether your start point will be LAX or SFO.

Fresno, California
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

My dad's family lives in Bremen. We are flying out of LAX on Aug. 30 or 31st. He works for American Airlines so we are flying stand by. It his desire to try visiting London and Paris a day each since he highly doubts he'll be back in Europe ever. It's always been a dream of his to visit those two places, so we are doing our best to squeeze in what we can.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

I have flown standby my whole life because my dad is retired pilot. I have given up doing this for the most part due to getting bumped so many times. August is a very busy travel time to Europe because many people take their holidays during that month. It might be difficult to get a seat. The possibility of getting bumped plus the jet lag it would suggest flying directly to Germany first and then plan on Paris and London at the end of your journey and fly out of London at the end.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,240 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

I'm afraid the advice is still the same. If you arrive in London in the morning you won't get to your hotel much before noon and you will have horrible jet lag. - which a recent trip report said ruined their first day. If you plan to leave the next day you will have time only to see a few buildings from the outside. Same thing in Paris. At the very least I suggest skipping Paris and going straight to Germany. That way you may actually have memories of the trip!

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

You really need to rethink this trip.

Flying into a European country (England), staying for a day, then flying to another European country for a day (France), then getting a train to another European country (Germany) sounds pretty awful to me.

An airport like say Heathrow or Gatwick in London are a fair way out the city, and with the security checks we have going on in Europe at the moment you will be expected to get to the airport 2 or 3 hours before your flight.

As others have said, you will be spending most of your time either in the air, travelling to and from airports, waiting at airports for your flight, or checking in and out of hotels.

You will see almost nothing of London or Paris. Most people expect to spend at least 3 or 4 days in London or Paris, or even a week.

To make the trip simpler do London OR Paris.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

Piling it on, train from Paris to Bremen takes up to nine hours and at least two changes of train. Flights from Paris to Bremen take less then two hours, but even that is far too much travelling for one week, with awful jetlag coming from California.

Here's a thought: How many relatives in Bremen are involved in this? If it's not vast numbers, and if they are reasonably mobile, could they perhaps meet you in Paris or London?

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,572 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

If this trip is for your father I am assuming he is retired, cant you stretch the week to 10 days? a week is not long enough for what you want to do .

London, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

If you're happy with the travelling involved then I agree with post 4 that travelling to Germany first in order to recover from jet lag would be sensible. Germanwings fly direct from Hamburg to Paris and there may be more options, likewise there are flights direct from Hamburg to London. Eurostar between the two cities would be the most memorable and would allow you to experience two grand railway stations and cut out one flight. Whilst you won't see much of London or Paris in one day you can get a good impression of the cities and briefly see some of the sights. If that's what your dad wishes to do don't deny him the opportunity just because most people would recommend you spend longer in each city.

10. Re: 1 week trip to Europe.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 July 2015, 07:16