We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental a Car to travel outside London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Rental a Car to travel outside London

After a week in London, we'd like to rent a car to travel to Windsor, Oxford, Bristol, and Bath. Can you suggest a good place to pick up a car? We thought to take a train to the outskirts of London and then pick up car. But having problems figuring out what the right place for that would be. Appreciate input.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,881 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

Having a car in Oxford, Windsor and Bath could be more of a pain than pleasure. Depending on how many (adults and children under age 16) are in your party, when you plan to travel and how long you plan to stay in each city you may find that rail travel will be a better option.

Let us know more, please.

Austin
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

I simplified a bit. We have reservations in Farringdon, plan to travel through several stops in the Cotswold, Exmoor National Park, Bath, Bristol, Stonehenge, and Wells. I checked out rail and decided that would be impossible. Plan to park outside Bath & Oxford and use public transport. But like the freedom to travel to the coast and through the Costwold on our own.

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

Why not train to Windsor and collect a car from there?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,213 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

Where in London are you staying? And are you leaving after the road trip bit, if so from where?

Getting the train to Windsor makes some sense as you could pick and return there from where it's easy to get a cab to Heathrow but if your departure is elsewhere it makes no sense and you would have a problem of what to with luggage unless you spend the night there and can leave it at a hotel.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,630 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

If your return flight is from Heathrow then I would probably rent from there to avoid one way charges.

Austin
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

Thanks, will try that.

Austin
Level Contributor
7 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

Staying near Tower of London. On return, have hotel at airport for night before flight. So perhaps pickup car at Windsor and drop at heathrow night before our flight home.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,625 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

You need to check too on the schedules. Heathrow will have the longest hours, and some other rental outlets will be closed Sunday, and have limited, or no hours Saturday.

Just curious--did you price any of the train tickets using Groupsave or a family and frends railcard? These can save you quite a bit if you are travelling as a family. It may not eliminate the need for a car, but perhaps you could visit Windsor and Bath, and then pick up a car upon leaving Bath. Neither of those cities is very car friendly, and you will end up paying to park, and limiting your lodging choices if you need to park at he hotel.

I would recommend staying in Windsor the night before your departure--great town for walking, restaurants, shopping. 20 minutes from Heathrow--and many Heathrow hotels, with little to offer around them--will take just as long to reach the terminal.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
584 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

Do some research into towns you intend to visit to see if they have a 'park and ride' system in place. You park for free outside town and ride the bus for a fee into town. We have done this previously visiting Oxford for the day, and always use it for a day trip into Cambridge. Saves the hassle of finding a car park plus some hefty parking fees. Seems like you have this in mind anyway.

I have relatives who live in Wells Somerset who I visit regularly and know you will love it there! Have a great trip.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,213 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental a Car to travel outside London

If you rent from WIndsor/return to Heathrow bear in mind there will be a surcharge for a one way hire.

I too would advise staying overnight if you do start with Windsor, then picking up the car to drive out. Not only will that save a parking fee but you will have somewhere to leave your luggage which you can't take to the Castle if that is somewhere you intend seeing.