We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

Red Deer, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

We are staying just 5 minutes walk from South Kensington tube station and need to get to heathrow for a 11 a.m flight on a Wednesday. Obviously the Piccadilly line straight to heathrow is the most direct, but as we need to be at LHR by around 8 a.m, we would be braving the rush hour with two big pieces of luggage and hand luggage on top of that. Other options are taxi all the way, or taxi to paddington then heathrow express or connect onto heathrow. Any suggestions on which we should do?

Australia
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

Hi, we are staying in Knighstsbridge and have been recommended the Heathrow Shuttle. I have booked for a morning pick up for this week. 2 people, 2 suitcases and 3 cabin bags: GBP28 total. I booked it on line.

https://www.heathrowshuttle.com/

They pick up at hotels, so I have just put in a hotel very close to us, and we will just wait outside. So, I cannot yet personally recommend this, but we are trying it based on a personal recommendation.

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
14,481 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

S Ken station will be busy, but you would be travelling against the main morning flow which is towards London, so the train shouldn't be impossible. The Picc Line trains have additional luggage space.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,843 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

The tube should be fine and as mentioned above you'll be traveling OUT of London whereas the rush hour commuters are traveling inbound.

With luggage you may find it easier (platform access) to take a District line train from South Ken, as there are crowded walkways and more stairs to the Piccadilly line there. Take a District line posted as either Richmond or Ealing Broadway, and change to the Piccadilly line at Hammersmith (other side of an island platform).

I wouldn't use any "shuttle" service as the journey would be longer (who knows whether you'd go straight to the airport or spend ages shuttling to other hotels). If you don't want the tube, book a private car service. This thread lists some generally well reviewed services - tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k48869…

Edited: 14 July 2014, 00:09
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

It's a hike from street level to the ticket hall and the Piccadilly line platforms at South Kensington station. Of the options I would use USBT's suggestion and take the District line from South Ken to Hammersmith and cross the platform there for a westbound Piccadilly line train.

If you are flying from T1,2 or 3 then take a Piccadilly line train towards T5; those that go to T4 and T123 hold at T4 for about eight minutes before moving on to T1,2,3.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

If you need to be at Heathrow for 8:00am you'll be travelling before the morning rush hour - and in the reverse direction to most commuters.

As for shuttle services - expensive, slow and there are far better options even if you avoid the Tube

London, England...
Level Contributor
63 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

leave plenty of time take the tube , if you go by road there is a risk of traffic jams and missing flight

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

Journey time is 40 mins to terminals 1-4 and 44 mins to terminal 5. Trains depart every 10 mins. Slightly longer if you take the District line and change. To be honest, I have never had a problem carrying suitcases up and down flights of stairs, but I suppose everyone is different. Total journey, to be safe, in the region of 1 hr. At 7 a.m., and going out of central London, you should not have much to worry about.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

At 7am the tube is fairly quiet and as said you are heading out of London.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

I thought I should add to my earlier post: Heathrow Shuttle did not turn up at the appointed time. After several phone calls, we cancelled them.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,287 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: South Kensington to Heathrow morning rush hour

Oh dear. This is (partly) why we advise against the shuttle companies. They seem to be completely useless.