We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips

calgary
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips

My friend and I will be in London for 2 weeks in August. Looking at the national rail website we are wanting to book day trips to bath, oxford , Brighton. Can I book all of these departing from Gloucester station?

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,021 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips

Here's a list of day trips from London, the stations you would use, and the approximate journey time:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186338-c174500/Londo…

But quickly, Brighton is reached from Victoria Station; Bath and Oxford from Paddington.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,583 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips

But you arent anywhere near Gloucester ?? Start from London.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips

Do you mean Gloucester Road underground station. You probably don't need to book ahead for any of these. Just pay on the day.

London
Level Contributor
2,911 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips

hardygeranium, won't the train fares be cheaper if booked in advance? I know that the last time that I went to Brighton I booked some time ahead and printed out my tickets from the machine at the station because this involved a saving. If it had been the same price I just would have bought them at the station on the day. The risk with booking ahead is that you can't predict the weather accurately, which does matter, at least for Brighton.

Yes, the OP must mean Gloucester Road, not Gloucester.

calgary
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips

Thank you very much for the help!

Bucks, UK
Level Contributor
4,565 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips

Use this website to check the fares and book tickets.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Advance fares are always cheapest but are only valid for the train time you have booked. Otherwise "off-peak" fares are "pay-on-the-day" fares for trains outside the morning and evening rush hours. There are savings to be had on all of the routes you mention but the savings on the shorter routes are not that great in cash terms (e.g for Brighton the cheapest advance fare I spotted for a random date two weeks hence was £8, the off-peak fare was £16) even though they may be big in percentage terms. However, for the trip to Bath, which is the longest of the 3, the potential savings are enormous; again, picking a random date 2 weeks hence the advance fare was £30, the walk-up fare was £90, so for this trip it may well be worth fixing your travel date and buying your ticket now.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips

Whoops! I stand corrected on the fares question.

8. Re: Day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 06:16