We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

Hello...

I was planning to book the Tower of London tour. It appears that an additional fee is charged for an audio guide and for a guidebook.

I seen mixed reviews regarding the audio guides on TripAdvisor - some say skip it and go for the Yeomen Wardens tour instead, whereas some say the audio guides are informative.

I don't mind joining the large Yeomen Warden tours, plus I am willing to pay for the guidebook (since it's yours to keep unlike the audio tours). I was wondering would that be sufficiently informative the history of the Tower, the Crown Jewels, imprisonment and execution, etc.?

The audio guide is like £4.00 for adults, but since there are 3 of us, I don't want to paying for £12.00 for something that would add little value to our experience.

Many thanks in advance!

Michelle

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

The audio guide is a pretty comprehensive tour, and takes you along the walls and into most of the buildings (apart from the White Tower), where as the Yeoman Warder tour is pretty short at about an hour, doesn't take you in any buildings, apart from the Chapel (which has restricted access), and is more on introduction.

I've done the audio tour a couple of times (I get free access to the tower because I'm a member of HRP), and I think it's well worth it.

Kent, UK
Level Contributor
7,205 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

I just noticed, in the title you mention Windsor Castle, but in your pits you talk about the Tower of London. Which one are you going to; they are different places.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

So sorry, I meant Tower of London...Much confusion with all the pre-bookings I'm making.

I do mean tower of London because those come at an extra cost...

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

It depends on your group. There are some in our family that won't listen to any of the audio guide even if we pay for it. I personally think they are very helpful. And bungle is right, the audio guide at Tower of London covers the insides of the building where the tour does not.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

Well, there's only 3 people in our group...But I guess we'll just take it.... Thanks for the advice emptynester44 and Bungle73

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

A tip on most audio guides is that they all have a audio jack so you can bring your own headphones instead of holding up to ear.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

Oh...wow, thanks emptynester44 for that tip on the "audio jack for your own headphone".

Yeah, I always wonder how useful is an audio guide when you are straining your ears to distinguish the commentary on yours from other people's...

I always carry along my trusty in-ear Klipsch X7i earphones...but I should advise my parents to being along a set of earphones themselves too.

8. Re: Audio guides for Windsor Castle?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2015, 05:16