We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing lines in London´s tube

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Conchal, SP
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Changing lines in London´s tube

I have never used tube in my life, so, I did some research and decided that the best way from Heathrow to Euston St, is taking the Piccadilly Line and change to Northern Line in Leicester Square and stop at Euston Square. Is it correct? What about changing lines, is it possible that I enter in the wrong one and go to the opposite direction?

Thank in advance.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

Yes, you need to pay attention to the direction you wish to head. Lines will be labelled eastbound, westbound, northbound if there is an option. You can figure out which direction you need to head by looking at the maps on the walls and signs. Look for the stop you want to get to and which direction it heads and follow those signs. Sometimes it will say northbound northern line platform 2 or 3 or whatever. Once you head toward the platform sometimes there is a sign showing which stops that particular line will stop.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,078 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

Or just go to Kings Cross and walk along Euston Road

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,702 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

Except the Northern Line doesn't go to Euston Square.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,688 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

The station you want, the one that is on the Northern Line, is EUSTON. Not Euston Square, which is a different station on a different line. There is no Euston Street station.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
5,593 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

Or change at Green Park and take the Victoria Line to Warren Street, then an even shorter walk to Euston Street

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

How do you know whether he wants to go to Euston or Euston Square?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,884 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

Euston Street is north of the Euston Road, and the best station from Heathrow is Euston.

The easiest way to Euston from Heathrow (step free with luggage) is to do as Amos says. Piccadilly line to Green Park and then Victoria line to Euston (one stop beyond Warren Street). At Green Park, ignore the signs at platform level and instead take the escalator up to the ticket hall, stay train side of the barriers and then take the escalator down to the Victoria line. That's much easier and quicker than following the directions from the platform, which includes a very long and pokey underground walkway.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,123 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

'I did some research and decided that the best way from Heathrow to Euston St, is taking the Piccadilly Line and change to Northern Line in Leicester Square and stop at Euston Square.' You mention Euston St (or do you mean Euston Road, Euston rail station or Euston Square Underground station) and Euston Square. The 'best' way as described would mean changing lines at a very busy station with 30+ stairs to climb - you may not want to do that with bags in tow.

Start again. Let us know the date you will arrive at Heathrow, the time of day your flight arrives and your destination in central London. The Underground journey from the airport to Warren Street and Euston stations can be done as above and is easy to do with luggage, but if your destination is not near Euston station then Warren Street may be a better choice.

Let us know the details, please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

freetoursbyfoot.com/navigating-the-london-un…

Conchal, SP
Level Contributor
6 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing lines in London´s tube

I will arrive 30/07, about 16 or 17 hours. My destination is the IBIS Euston, I believe it is right next Euston Station.