We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel options for family of 5

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
805 posts
178 reviews
Save Topic
Travel options for family of 5

We are a family of 5, arriving Heathrow on a Thursday afternoon, leaving St. Pancras on Monday at noon.

My kids are 17, 15, and 12.

Hotel is St. Ermins, which is near the St. James Park stop.

I am trying to determine if taking the tube to and from the hotel is going to be difficult with our luggage (each person will have one medium size rolling suitcase plus a small backpack), and whether we should plan on a car service from the airport and taxi to St. Pancras instead.

During our days in London, I expect we will take public transportation a lot as we visit the typical things tourists do.

Also, since we will probably not travel all that much on Monday (heading straight St. Pancras after checking out of the hotel), I'm thinking a 7 day Travelcard might not be worth it, so then I thought we would just do pay as you go Oyster. However, the kids pay full fare with those, so then I think we should do something else? Oh, this is so complicated!

Thank you.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,477 posts
358 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel options for family of 5

You could get a child rate 7 day travelcard for your 15-12 yos; the 17yo pays full fare.

Probably a 7 day travelcard purchased at Victoria main line station would save you cash if you made much use of the 2for1 offers.

Otherwise 1-day travelcards would work just as well and would qualify for the 2 for 1s and could be combined with a one day travelcard bought at Heathrow for the first day's travel. That would NOT qualify for the 2 for 1 that day

By the way, a stop in the UK refers to buses. On the railways and Tube, they are stations.

Unless you are mobility impaired you should not have trouble coping with the stairs at St James's Park; theDistrict Line is a subsurface railway, bot a deep level tube.

2. Re: Travel options for family of 5

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2015, 06:17