We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon tea in central London

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon tea in central London

Hi

My mum has a “special” birthday coming up and has asked me to arrange an afternoon tea in central London to help celebrate which is not exactly my area of expertise (pubs & restaurants yes, posh hotels not so much!). I’m a bit overwhelmed by the choice so hoping for some personal recommendations.

I am looking for something central that will have a sense of occasion but without being overly formal / stuffy. Somewhere with friendly staff and a relaxed feel would be ideal. As it is a special occasion budget isn’t an issue.

Thanks in advance.

London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

Of the 'Super' fancy London hotels, the Savoy is the best for afternoon tea imo. Its certainly got that relaxed feel, their dress code is very casual, you can wear smart jeans there no problem. Where as somewhere like Clarridges are very strict on wearing formal clothes etc.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,243 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

The Capital Hotel just by Harrods is very friendly and would be suitable.

capitalhotel.co.uk/restaurantbar_afternoonte…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

The Capital Hotel is often recommended and sounds as if it would fit your requirement of "a sense of occasion but without being overly formal / stuffy" . capitalhotel.co.uk/restaurantbar_afternoonte…

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
2,301 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

Also check this website for any special offers http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/uk/london/

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

My cousin took my Aunt for afternoon tea to the Library Lounge at the London Marriott Hotel,County Hall for her birthday earlier this yr & both had a lovely time there.Paul had booked a birthday celebration a/noon tea which was £40 pp & inc all the usual food,scones,sandwhiches,pastries etc., plus a birthday cake & free flowing bubbly.You cud also have just the normal a/noon tea without bubbles or with 1 glass of fizz at lower prices.They luvd the room they ate in & were lucky to get a table with views over the River Thames & said the food was very good with friendly staff and didn't find it to formal or stuffy either.

For something abit different,the RS Hispaniola which is moored by Victoria Embankment on the Thames serves a/noon tea in their Upper Deck restaurant.It's opp the London Eye & if you get a riverside seat,you'll have fab views of river life etc., A/noon tea is £22.50 pp or £29.50 pp with a glass of champagne.....

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

The Capital Hotel is cosy rather than big and formal and then you can walk to Harrods chocolate and sweets department a few yards away and invite her to hand pick and select her own box of chocolates from their amazing selection.

Just an idea !

UK
Level Contributor
21 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions - getting quite hungry already from reading the menus!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
305 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

The whole idea of afternoon tea for me means opulence, indulgence and a sense of theatre !!

otherwise it's just a brew, some butties and cakes.....Isn't it?

if it's for your Mum splash out! go the whole hog and I'm sure she'll love it

if the budget can stand it then do it :))

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,972 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

That being the case, book the Dorchester.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
41,489 posts
1,251 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon tea in central London

We like the Ritz on Piccadilly. They have always come through for us.

Another, though a "step-down" is the Sheraton Park Lane, also on Piccadilly, but the "level of service" is not up to the Ritz.

Good luck,

Hunt