We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

We are arriving August at 11 am and have to find our way by public means to nearest tube south wood ford station. Can someone please advise the best way other than an expensive taxi? We are so confused about passes, what makes sense?

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

You could get Oyster cards at Heathrow and load about £25 each of PAYG cash. Take the Piccadilly line to Holborn and change there for the Central line heading east to South Woodford (take the train that ends in Epping as there is a loop near the end of the line that goes another route). Of course, I don't know how much luggage you will have and don't recall if there are lifts vs. stairs or escalators at Holborn station when changing lines. Others may have alternate routes or combinations of tube/bus routes to make it easier with luggage.

As a side note, my in-laws live in Woodford and I could walk from South Woodford station to their house with my eyes closed, I've made that trip so many times :)

Edited: 18 July 2014, 00:33
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,623 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

There are stairs down, about 22 up and 22 down, one long escalator and walks of about 120 m on the flat to make the change at Holborn station. Depending on the time of day your flight arrives you may find the station busy with commuters or visitors heading towards the British Museum. There are stairs, up and down, at South Woodford station as well.

What is your destination from South Woodford station? At what time of day does your flight arrive?

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

I recall the platform exiting the train at South Woodford being on street level as it's an outdoor station. There is a turnstile exiting to the street. Regardless, the change at Holborn is quite a schlep which I should have figured (I don't use that station often).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,207 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

From Heathrow with luggage I'd avoid the change at Holborn and take a slightly longer but easier route with two very easy changes.

Take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Hammersmith, where you make a very easy cross platform change (walk 10 meters to the other side of the island platform) for the District line train posted as Upminster. Take that train to Mile End where there's another cross platform change to the Central line for South Woodford.

South Woodford has a step free exit onto one side of the station. Whether that's the side you'll want I don't know. If not then you'll have to cross the footbridge using the stairs described by TP.

California
Level Contributor
4,215 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

The footbridge comes in to play when you're heading back in to London :)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

There isn't a Heathrow South Terminal.. There is a South Terminal at Gatwick which you'd arrive at if flying Air Transat direct from Calgary.

You had better check which airport you are flying to.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 06:36
7. Re: Best way heathrow south terminal to south woodford station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 06:15