We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Hello! I need some advice on a trip I’m taking to London from September 2nd - 9th. I have been to London a few times already, so this trip is more about taking in the city and just enjoying London. My only planned activities are hitting the markets on the weekends(Portobello, Camden, etc). I would like to stay in a part of town where restaurants, lounges, pubs and wine bars are not that far away (walking distance ideally). Also, a really good Gym to workout at would be great as well. What part(s) of town would I find the young professionals living/playing? I would like to be in an area where I can meet the locals versus being up to my eyeballs in tourists. I’m staying at a Marriott property, but I have no idea if any of these locations are close to the area I’m looking for. Also, is shoreditch fun for young professionals, or is that more of an area for the really young (hipsters), etc? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

The London EDITION (10 Berners St)

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square

London Marriott Hotel Park Lane

Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

London Marriott Hotel Marble Arch

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection® (2 Claxton St.)

St. Pancras Renaissance London Hotel

London Marriott Hotel County Hall

London Marriott Hotel Regents Park

London Marriott Hotel Maida Vale

Threadneedles, Autograph Collection®

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,717 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Location wise, I'd book the Edition. But I'm neither young nor hip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,943 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Shoreditch has both young professionals and 'hipsters'and is ckclose to the centre of town, ish. Young professional people generally can't afford to live in the centre so other places you will find us are a bit further out - zone 2-3 on the tube map. I'm not sure what hotels (if any!) there are in places like Clapham, Dalston, Bethnal Green and Peckham and other places lots of young people live!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Try Islington.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Yes, Upper Street in Islington is nice to hang out and where I go for meals and drinks with friends if we don't want to go out in Central London. There's an abundant choice of restaurants and bars there. The closest hotel from your list above would be the St. Pancras Renaissance. It's only a short bus ride (bus no. 73 or 476) from outside Kings Cross Station (which is right next to St. Pancras station) to Upper Street. The same bus will take you to Stoke Newington Church Street. I used to live here and love it. It's got a really nice vibe and is home to my favourite wine bar The Fox Reformed (they do nice food too!) which is on the site where Edgar Allen Poe used to go to school. Again there's a good choice of restaurants and pubs so you might enjoy that too.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 21:03
London, United...
Level Contributor
875 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Clapham Common is certainly where all the graduates want to be but probably cant afford to stay lol. Shoreditch is very young, trendy, hipsterish. Islington is nice too. Chelsea is for the rich kids if that your scene.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Thanks everybody! Keep the suggestions coming!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

I think the problem is that the kinds of neighbourhoods you are looking for are not the ones where Marriott properties are likely to be located. (The same is true in the US -- my sister lives near Park Slope in Brooklyn. Lots of young professionals, restaurants and gyms. Very few hotels of any sort and definitely no Marriotts.)

I also agree that most young professionals can't afford central London rents and live further out. Islington is somewhere young professionals hang out, but I don't personally know any who can afford to live there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,621 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Duplicate post removed

Edited: 20 July 2014, 09:44
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

Ok, so when locals do venture out into central London, what areas do they hit? Also, any areas where maybe young professionals work and go for happy hour before they head home? Lasty, when are the best evenings to go out? Wed-Sat? Grazie Millie!!!

California
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice from locals or frequent London travelers needed!

I'm not sure what your fascination is with 'young professionals' is, but the last place I want to be is in a pub at 5pm standing shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of guys wearing suits. It's awkward and uncomfortable and I stick out like a sore thumb (being American, a woman and *heaven forbid* a tourist). Anyway, it's similar to any big city, people tend to go out after work near their job or close to the public transit route they take home. If you really want to experience this weeknight spectacle, head to any pub in the City between 5-6pm.

Edited: 21 July 2014, 14:49