We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International Phone Rental

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
east coast
Level Contributor
223 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
International Phone Rental

I continue to be confused with international phone vs. my phone....hopefully someone can help!

4 of us will travel to London and Paris during the Christmas holidays. I prefer to hold off using our phones for fear that the 20-somethings will still text and check emails while in another country. Assuming I rent 2 different phones.....my confusion is which phone is charged what? I'm thinking that we switch SIM cards between the two countries, but are both phones charged to make calls between each other? On the websites, I see a lot about free incoming calls from such and such (i.e., the US), but what if we are both in the particular country?

Also, for the Paris portion....I'm familiar with buying the Orange card but can this be accessed in English also? LOL, the two times I used prepaid cards, it was all in French and I couldn't figure out how the time was being used up all the time.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International Phone Rental

Why would you rent phones? Cheaper to buy. And much less hassle.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International Phone Rental

Regards charging,general principle is you only pay what you'd expect to pay dependent upon the country code of the number being called,wherever it actually is which might be a different country.

So if you call a uk number that's in the uk, you pay exactly the same as if you called a uk number that's in Paris,in the latter case the person in Paris with a uk number receiving the call pays the extra leg from uk to Paris. And you pay as a caller or sender whatever the rate is for the plan you are on.

And you don't pay to receive calls or texts in your home country, only if roaming.

Level Contributor
1,508 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: International Phone Rental

Are your phones unlocked? If so just buy SIM cards for the countries you are in (ie. UK and France)

4. Re: International Phone Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2015, 06:16