We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
82 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

I have booked the Grange Rochester for 5 days in August (8/14-8/18) and just realized it has no AC; but does have window's that open. The reviews aren't terrible (even a couple commenting on the lack of AC) but the location seems to be great! We won't be in the room really much except to sleep but don't want a lousy nights sleep to ruin our trip.

I realize the weather in London is unpredictable (based on what I have read here) and I looked on the Accuweather website & see it should be pretty mild in August...which will be such a welcome change!

Would any of you frequent travelers or locals stay in a hotel with no AC in mid August in London? .

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,356 Reviews
from US$131.10*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,127 Reviews
from US$139.80*
US$155.40
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
512 Reviews
from US$118.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from US$349.20*
Marlton, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

Highly dependent on your tolerance for heat, and the weather. Weather can vary widely. I've found July to be the hotter month though, particularly last year, when it hit 96F/36C.

If it were me, I'd book a place with AC.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,460 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

London in August will bear no resemblance to your part of Arizona in August. The temperatures during your travel dates may range from 15C to 25C, but could creep up towards 30C.

That the windows open in the Grange Rochester is a plus; many hotels have fans in rooms as well. If you're happy with the location then enjoy your choice.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
64,436 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

The vast majority of people in London manage without AC even during one of the rare spells where temperature rise above 25 degrees. Your choice, but most UK residents see it as unnecessary. From my experiences in Arizona, it is much hotter there, and I would want AC in that sort of heat, but not here.

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
123 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

Agree, if location is perfect, I wouldn't even look to see if they have got AC in a UK hote. if you have windows that open in our climate that is better (and healthier). It was 30c (hotter than this is rare) yesterday and evening temp dropped to 21. Have a lovely trip.

Loughton, United...
Level Contributor
6,727 posts
372 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

I'd always book an a/c room in a British city in the summer, as the noise from outside would destroy all but the deepest sleeper's rest. In the country or small towns, fine

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,793 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

Worth mentioning that the heat at the moment is dreadful. 32 oC apparently and still very hot at night. Had to abandon my bedroom and sleep downstairs where there is a through draft. Sweat pouring down everyone on the Tube. You would die in a hotel room with no AC in Central London.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
29,899 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

You might enjoy this good local pub.

www.juggedharevictoria.co.uk/

Oxford UK
Destination Expert
for Oxford
Level Contributor
1,582 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

<<You would die in a hotel room with no AC in Central London.>>

No you wouldn't. Millions of people have not died in hotels, flats, houses, etc. around the UK with no aircon this week and every summer.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

It's hot in London at the moment, and the further upstairs in a hotel you are the hotter it gets. Opening the window will give you the noise of drunken yobs and police sirens. Find a hotel with A/C or just sweat or stay awake due to outside noise. A fan will help, if you can use white noise to get you to sleep.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel with No AC in Mid August - Good Idea?

So, this morning, everyone in London was dead? Really? I have never stayed anywhere WITH airconditioning so no idea what it does, but I manage by opening windows.