We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

Sorry to ask such a frequent question but I'm in the middle of the trip and finding my research and printouts are not clear. I copied and printed the sticky about getting the travelcard for 2-4-1s and am now reviewing It. It states that getting a seven day travel card from an over ground station just will not work , that it goes onto oyster. However some forum answers I copied show that people ARE being advised to get a 7-day card to use for 2-4-1s.

Tomorrow we're going to Slough train station planning to get one way tickets to charing cross and get our travelcards for one week. What should we buy in order to do 2-4-1s ? (Yes we do have passport photos :) )

Thanks for any help ypu can offer !

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

Charing Cross Station is not an Overground station - 7 day travelcards bought there at the National Rail station will be valid for the 2 for 1.

Slough is not an Overground station - ditto.

Paddington (which you pass through on your way from Slough to Charing Cross) is also not an Overground station - so ditto. If you are going to start using the travelcards straightaway then no need to wait until Charing Cross to buy them.

I think your confusion is the word 'Overground' which is widely misunderstood including by a large proportion of Londoners. It's the name of a number of lines (like the Circle Line), not a description of where they run.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
49,551 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

Indeed, Overground describes a specific number of routes that are managed by TfL. It is confusing, and not only to foreign visitors and <Londoners but also to many from other parts of the UK, but Charing Cross and Slough are National Rail stations, not Overground (note the capital 'o'!) or Underground.

What's a bit simpler is that a 7D Travelcard will allow you to travel on buses, Underground, Overground, National Rail, DLR and tram services within the relevant zones.

If you buy from a National Rail station it will be on a paper ticket, not an Oystercard, and will therefore be valid for the 2 for 1 discounts at participating attractions as well as the transport.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

Ok! I thought I'd learned the language but obviously not. Indeed , I thought overground meant "not the tube."

So we will get our paper travelcard at the Slough national rail station. We are planning to get zone 1-2, and that can apply a "discount" to the charing cross station train ticket purchase too ?

Thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,390 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

OVerground is just a different bit of the overground rail network run (and branded) by TFL as such and therefore not eligible for the 2for1s. Those of us who are, ahem, old enough used to refer to most of the surface rail network (which are trains as are tubes) as overground (small o) but now that TFL has branded their services Overground, capital o it does make it a bit harder to explain.

There is no ticket price discount - it is the same price as TFL's AFAIK. The discounts are on the entry to sites and attractions.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

If you want to add in some more confusion, more than half of the "Underground" actually runs above/over ground. It's really only underground in the central zones, with a few exceptions. As already said, make note of the capitalisation.

BTW, I wouldn't buy a one way (termed "single" here) ticket to Charing Cross, as that will include a cross London ticket so cost £11.90. Buy it to Paddington instead (£8.90) and then use your travelcard to make the journey from Paddington to Charing Cross on the Bakerloo line.

Also make sure Slough don't try to sell you the travelcard that also includes unlimited travel back to Slough which is the default when you ask for a travelcard from a station outside of London. A zone 1-2 only travelcard should cost £31.40 for a week.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 19:18
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

Are you travelling from Slough to London and then spending a week in London - or are you traveling daily between Slough and London?

I assume the former but there's enough misunderstanding in your posts to make the latter possible.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

We're staying in central London for the week.

My mom is 72 and we're both hauling lugagge (I'm hauling some of hers) so I think we will regretfully spend the extra for a change-free train ride.

Thanks for the help.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

<<we will regretfully spend the extra for a change-free train ride>>

???You have to change at Paddington to get to Charing Cross.

And currently you have to change to get from Paddington to Charing Cross on the tube - the Bakerloo Line is exit only at Paddington.

The 23 bus might be an alternative - albeit a slow one. No changes. You'll need a travelcard or Oyster to use it - you can't pay cash

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

There's no way to get from Slough to Charing Cross without changing trains, as the Slough line only goes into Paddington which is on the opposite side of central London. My point was you'll be double paying your fare if you buy a single all the way to Charing Cross, as your travelcard already covers that part of your journey.

Wasn't aware of the escalator work at Paddington (no longer go through that station daily) so follow dzug's advice. An alternative would be to take the Circle line from Paddington counter-clockwise (via High Street Kensington and Victoria) to Embankment station. This is attached to the back of Charing Cross station, so should be roughly the same distance to your final destination.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 2-4-1 and seven day travelcards

Sleep deprivation affects me again, luckily most of the trip planning was done when I was getting plenty of sleep. I missed the train-changing bit on the train site, thanks for catching it.

I'm worried about dealing with flights of stairs, I know some tube stops have those and no escalators. would paying the 11.80 mean just rolling luggage from one train platform to another? Or does changing at Paddington to get to charing cross railway station also involve stairs?