We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

London Airport transfers

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
London Airport transfers

We are flying from Amsterdam and we have a choice of landing either at Gatwick or London City. Either way, we have to get to Heathrow. We will have approximately 4 hours for the transfer to and check in at Heathrow. I have seen the Heathrow Express option, via Paddington. Can anyone suggest other options? Are there shuttles from either LCY or Gatwick to Heathrow? Approximately, what would a taxi cost? Or perhaps a private car? And, is 4 hours sufficient time to make the transfer or is it cutting it close.

Our arrival at either LCY or Gatwick is around 11:30 am.

Any information recommendation would be very much appreciated.

Tom F

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: London Airport transfers

The Heathrow Express option will not help you, as Paddington is nowhere near either airport. From LCY, you can get a combination of the DLR and tube, for Gatwick refer to this advice:

heathrowairport.com/transport-and-directions…

Four hours is probably cutting it fine. You will need to deal with immigration at either airport (I'd allow an hour, although LCY might be faster) and then make it across to Heathrow. Either option will take over an hour, more so from Gatwick depending on traffic if you choose the bus or car option. You'll then need to check in and reclear security at Heathrow.

Sounds like you haven't booked the flight yet, so is there no option for you to fly into Heathrow directly? I would have thought BA and KLM would offer this at the very least.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 21:15
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,644 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: London Airport transfers

Both options are far too risky. A crash on the M25 or a signal failure on the Piccadilly line could mean you missing your flight and having to buy new walk up fares.

Both KLM and BA fly to Heathrow and if either of those airlines are in an alliance with the one you flying from Heathrow with then your bags might even get checked through even though you will be travelling on two separate tickets.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: London Airport transfers

Thanks very much. Appreciate the info. Unfortunately, this is the hassle involved with using mileage, but the cost savings are significant.

Tom F

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: London Airport transfers

Thanks very much. This is the "Use mileage" hassle factor and not getting direct flights.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,644 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: London Airport transfers

Tom,

Are you willing to share the exact flight details along with the day that you are attempting this? For instance a Saturday or Sunday will more likely make us suggest Gatwick as the roads around lunchtime may not be too bad whilst tube closures are not uncommon over a weekend.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: London Airport transfers

Tom,

Time to pull out the "connecting on separate tickets" traveler article so you know what you could be letting yourself on for.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g41707-c207311/Newton…

Can you fly into London the day before your flight from Heathrow? That would be the safest and least risk option by far.

Edit - If you do this the day before you could also consider the train from Amsterdam to London.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 08:46
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,900 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: London Airport transfers

Tom, saving significant amounts of money in this way does come with a risk. I am risk averse, so I would take USBT's excellent advice about travelling the day before if it were me. I always try and avoid connecting on separate tickets on the same day. It reduces the risk considerably.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: London Airport transfers

Agree that we need to know the date of your flight to give the most accurate advice.

But without that, I'm not seeing a significant cost saving using random dates. A BA flight from Amsterdam to London is averaging around €100 including one checked bag. Half of this cost is taxes, which usually need to be paid on mileage flights anyway. And if you have to book a private car for the transfer, there goes the rest of the saving. Not worth it at all, IMO.

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
2,642 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: London Airport transfers

What about a coach direct from Gatwick to Heathrow see www.nationalexpress.com add on about 1/2 hour for the average times incase of accident traffic.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
28 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: London Airport transfers

Our flight from Amsterdam to London City, (Gatwick is now not an alternative), is on a Wednesday in early May, and lands at LCY at 10:25 am. Our departing flight to the US from Heathrow is at 4:15 pm.

Thanks very much,

Tom F